Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tips for a visit to Barcelona, Spain

76 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello All,

I will be heading to Barcelona for my first time during Easter weekend. I am really excited!! :D I've done some research online (Fodor's, Google, etc.) but I would love to get some suggestions from those who have been there on places to see, restaurants to try, and all that fun stuff. So if you have any tips, suggestions, advice, warnings, etc... I would love to hear it.

FYI- I will be traveling alone.

Thank you.

Posted

Keep your valuables close especially in la ramblas.

visit the nou camp and say hi to Henrik for me if he is about . ;)

have a wicked time, one of my favourite cities anywhere.

Posted

When I went, my favourite part was not really seeing the Cathedral by Gaudi, but to go to the gardens he designed, Parc Guell - http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/park-guell.html - there's a really good view of the city to the coastline. La Ramblas was also nice. Stank of sewage when I went though. oh, and if you stumble upon any little markets, try some olive tepanade, it's so tasty!

Posted

I hope you've already bought your planet tickets. My hubby just checked for the weekend before, and the cheapest were about 400 EUR.

Posted

I'm going there next week with work and can pick up some tourst guides etc and bring them back for you if you wish!

Posted

can you also pick up some sunshine and warmth :)

Posted

Do the open top bus tour as it goes round all the main tourist attractions and you can jump on and off. Think you can get a one day or two day ticket if I remember rightly.

Posted

Great place, have some good memories from there...

Depends how long you´re staying there. I would recommend the Miro museum, and Dali´s birthplace in Figueres (worth the time to get there - make it a day trip). Absolutely cool!

If you like to do what the spanish do, head to "El Corte Ingles" for some good shopping. Eat local food at a local restaurant. If you like garlic, Alioli is a Catalan specialty, a kind of garlic mayonnese. In town itself, there´s also a bunch of good ethnic restaurants, had the best falafel I ever had there. Another day trip would be the Torres winery outside of town (haven´t seen it myself, but on my next list of things to do.)

Nightlife is great too...great place, I´m jealous!

Posted

Barcelona is indeed fantastic.

We went to Figueres, but then we were there for a week, so it was worth it. Decide for yourselves how much you like Dali, and whether you want to spend all that time travelling - the coast road on the way back is a bit scary!!

There is a fantastic restaurant just off Las Ramblas that you must go to - we were there with a friend who is a chef and they were just as excited about the food as we were. And all four of us were delighted about the price - it is seriously good value. Not surprisingly, you have to queue to get in... I'm going to try to remember to fish out the name for you, I think I have it at home somewhere.

Posted

Found the restaurant, it's La Fonda (on Escudellers, number 10) just to the East of Las Ramblas.

Posted

Mind your bag at all times. My mother's bag was stolen there - some guys walked past her, cut through the strap with a knife and took off at speed through the dark lanes. And while I was walking down Las Ramblas someone was unzipping my backpack. I didn't notice at all but my bf caught them just in time. Two experiences which really spoiled a great city for us unfortunately :(

Posted

The very first thing that happened to us in Barcelona was a run-in with pickpockets in the subway! Walk on the escalator, don't stand, and if someone drops something in front of you like a packet of cigarettes, just step on it and keep walking. They didn't get anything, so I could just look at it as local color, but I can see where losing something can really damage your image of a city.

Anyway, my favorite thing was just walking around the Eixample - wonderful bits of modernisme were everywhere, in a stained-glass shop window or an ornate door handle, or the blue-tiled underside of a balcony. I second the Parc Güell too - amazing.

Posted

Yeah I head Barcelona holds top stop in Europe for pickpocketing of tourists so watch yourself!

Posted

When my hubby was there a couple years ago, he saw someone rip off a lady's handbag. Fortunately for her, just about everyone in the vicinity took off after the guy, and he dropped it.

Posted

Evening 1 - sagrada familia - amazming cathederal designed (mostly) but Gaudi, still be built and has been for over 100 years (with breaks) and I doublt it will be completed for a while either - went for a calzone in a pizz place just up the Gaudi road from the sagrada familia

Evening 2 - Walked down La rambla with many modernist buildings on the street including multiple by Gaudi, one with a dragon on the roof has recently opened for viewing inside. Also looked at a gaudi building on the "Gran Via les Corts Catalanes" street which used to be an apartment building but is now (part of it) open to tourist and you can see how different the interiror is to normal buildings. Went for a drink in a very nice bar with a very different decor called "bosc de les faces" which is near the bottom of La Rambla, the sea end, down a side street where the museum "Museu de Cera" is. Walked over the bridge, at the sea, at the end of La Rambla onto an area of bars and clubs for food in the evening (place called las tapas).

We also popped into the Plaça Reial, which should be very good at night but was disapointing on a wed evening.

I have also been told the port olymic is the place to br at night but didn't get there

Evening 3 - wrote this ;)

One warning, check the Metro, bus and tram times if you staying out of town as they mostly finish around 12, with then just a few night buses running

Posted

Was just there the last few days. Sagrada Familia was amazing - gotta see that.

Found a fantastic restuarant just off La Ramblas called Santa Monica. Sorry can't think of exact address !

Posted

playing with the idea of going there for ca 5 days.

I'd like to do some beach only days though. What are the beaches around Barcelona which u can reach by public transport. What are nice villages with beach around Barcelona where I can stay overnight in some nice (cheap) hostels or B&B's?

Posted

Hi everyone,

I've just found out that I'm getting sent to Barcelona for a week to work.

Does anyone know any decent bars there to hang out in in the evening?

Cheers.

Posted

Never call a Catalan spanish and in conversation with a Catalan say these words

"Viscar Catalunya" = long live Catalonia