Buying a coffee grinder

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I was in Kustermann on Saturday and started looking idly at coffee grinders.

A member of staff of course came up to me and asked what I would be using it for. My answer - French Press. Then she told me that the cheaper machines (say under 80 euros) would be no good for that as the coffee would be too "heiss". I didn´t ask her what she meant by heiss (my bad) as I wasn´t really in a talkative mood and wanted to be left alone. So, now I am wondering if anyone here can enlighten me please?

I saw a coffee grinder in Tchibo this morning for 40 euros and wouldn´t mind buying that unless I have a really good reason to spend twice that on a brand one.

Having said that, my parents have been using the same Braun grinder they received as a wedding present 40 years ago about once a week all that time and it is still going! So, I am also not adverse to buying quality if its worth it.

(I have no interest in changing away from my Bodum French Press either, its quick and suits my hectic mornings).

Posted

It says here:

Another point to be noted is: grinders should not produce excessive heat at the time of grinding as it may kill the flavors in the coffee.

Posted

I use the Bodum french press also. It is quick and coffee tastes the freshest. Braun makes a good blade grinder. They last forever and works for the french press.

When I am lazy I use Aldi coffee which I found tastes just as good. There instant is very good, too.

Posted

I use this Burr Grinder from Krups usually available for under 60 Euro

Posted

I've had a Braun and a Krups grinder from two different households, and they last forever. Each as good as the other. Pick one you think looks nice and that's the end of it.

Posted

Its essentially a matter of how sensitive you are to coffee tastes...

french press is a "simple coffee" and may not require the best of coffee grinders.

by "heiss" she mean that the blades heat up the beans and they get "burnt" in the process a bit. now this is important to the descerning coffee drinker.

i would go for a grinder with "Scheibenmahlwerk" this is a true grinder and does not cut the beans!! - result is a better fine grind without the downsides of blade based "grinders".

you can get Scheibenmahlwerk based grinders cheap at amazon. maybe thats a compromise?

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85Z%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Dkitchen&field-keywords=Scheibenmahlwerk

Posted

Hopefully she's got one by now. Either that, or she is well and truly detoxed after almost 4 years.

I, on the other hand, now want a cup of coffee.

Posted

For French Press I am using a Graf grinder. I used to use it also for my espresso but my Mazzer took over that job.

Not the cheapest but mosdef one of the better values out there.

Mistake ppl make most off with FP is making too find of a grind. Although FP does not need such a fine grind, a nice even grind is still important. Also a grinder not as well designed still places too much heat into the coffee which in turn takes flavour from it.

Posted

Yes the bigger the better and you want it to be manual if your going to go and get all barristed out. The larger amount of beans will keep the grind more constant and if you are actually trying to get better, the manual setting will be necessary because you must set your grind based off the temperature and humidity in the room ... coffee is like cooking, if you dont care you just want to make it somewhat resembling your idea it doesnt matter, if you want to get fine with it and make something you are paying 500 euros for a meal or 8 for a glass of coffee its all science.

Much love

If you need help still I can ask some friends who take there shit pretty seriously to say the least and have made a career out of it.

Posted

Mine is a very cheap Elta and has worked well for 2 years!