Where to buy a British to German telephone adaptor

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Has anyone got any idea where I can buy an adaptor to make my English phone plug into a German telephone socket? It seems like such a small thing but I can't seem to find anything anywhere!

Posted

If you're talking about a normal landline phone, then I'm pretty sure that this wont work. The telephone networks are not compatible.

Posted

If you have a digital type cordless phone, you should be able to change the whole cable on the base unit - should just unplug, the buy a standard de phone cable - think may be same as a dial up modem cable (?) we changed ours from de to uk (and back again!) by doing that.

Posted

I brought a Canadian phone with me and just went to Media Markt and picked up the cord adapter for the plug. You can buy either a new cable for the phone with a german plug, or a plug adapter.

Posted

I have these items...

I make them myself.

The UK network "creates" 90v to make the phone ring.. where as in Germany its as low as 60V

It is unlikely that a simple cable change will make any difference.

SP

Posted

The phone will almost certainly work, but whether it will ring is a different matter. If it's a "UK only" phone, then it probably won't ring without an adapter that pushes a ring signal to a 3rd pin on the connector. In Germany the ringing signal is only delivered via the pins used for speech. Many phones, though, are made to be universally compatible, even if it doesn't say so on the box, so it may work on a German line with only a simple adapter.

PS. Kaufhof and Karstadt (formerly Hertie am Hauptbahnhof) have a wide selection of telecoms adapters, although you may find you need to go UK-US(Western)-German(TAE).

Posted

This topic never seems to tire, so here's where I am on this. Have brought a wonderful 1940's bakelite dial telephone to Frankfurt and am trying to make it ring here.(it has been modernised inside by a BT Telecom engineer, so we can treat it like a modern telephone). Can call someone- no problem.

Connected it to my Fritzbox router via the standard BT-TAE adapter: No ring.

Instead I bought a 2/4A Master Telephone Socket at Amazon from "Electrovision" and connnected it to the German TAE. This contains a surge suppressor, ring capacitor and test resistor. This was meant to boost the voltage on the German system and make my phone ring. The phone only splutters quietly.

So now the question to you technical guys: Can you connect up TWO Master telephone sockets in a row to "doubly" boost the voltage? or is this ridiculous?

post-209760-13551461176974.jpg

Posted

Hi vocals,

Your telephone looks familiarly nostalgic to me. My earliest memories of telephones (in shops and living quarters) were of the same type as my grandparents were rural sub-postmaster/mistress in various villages in Scotland in the 1950s and '60s.

Your idea of doubling the Master sockets sounds ridiculous to me, I wouldn't 'fiddle'* with it if I were you, but it appears fortuitous that you posted today.

Look above at post #5 from SpiderPig and be advised that the same poster announced earlier that he is currently operational in the Frankfurt area. You can refer to his currently active business thread for contact possibilities.

*I'm sorry, but your email addy attracts that kind of puny pun.

Hoping you will soon be hearing that old;

BRRRR!!! BRRRR!!! ... ... ... BRRRR!!! BRRRR!!! ... ... ... BRRRR!!! BRRRR!!! ... ... ... BRRRR!!! BRRRR!!!

2B

Posted

Success!!!

Following a tip from an ex-telephone engineer in the UK I did the following: Unscrewed the base of this noble GPO antique and located the resistor which was joining two of the contacts(looks like a little sausage with stripes on it) By simply twisting the resistor around I made the wires connect underneath it. This produced a timid ring. I then turned the bells around a bit so that they were closer together. And hey Presto it now rings loud and clear. The joke is though that it just does a single ring, pauses and repeats a single ring. I.e. a GPO telephone acting as if it were German.

Thanks for all your tips - including the one of connecting up a Master socket.