Where to get notarized copies of documents

12 posts in this topic

Posted

The docs are in English and I need copies in order to apply to FU. The Bürgeramt refused because they are in English. Does anyone know where I can get certified copies?

Posted

A certified copy is just that - a copy, it doesn't magically change the language of the document. You need to have the documents translated into German and the translation certified as being true to the English-language original.

The search function (upper right corner) brings up these results, among others:

Certified English to German translators - Berlin

Certified translators for English to German - Munich

Posted

I don't need them in German for any other reason. They are accepted by UNI-assist in English, so they don't need to be changed to German let alone 'magically' changed, but thanks for taking the time to reply.

Posted

Hello,

I am trying to get a certified copy of my US diploma for HWR hochschule. I was told the document does not need to be translated because I am applying for an English speaking program.

I already tried the Burgamt, and they turned me away.

Any other suggestions?

Posted

Us embassy does notary work

Posted

shouldnt you ask whoever awarded you the diploma to send you a certified copy of one? Often they only accept ones sent direct from the university.

Posted

Us embassy does notary work

I contacted the US embassy and they said they don't notarize anything from an educational institution.

Posted

I would try the Bank. Almost ALL banks have an official notary on staff or have a staff member that is a licenced notary... and can notarize documents for a small fee.

Just to be on the safe side for added success... hit the main branch.

Posted

Apologies ahead as this is similar Q but based in Munich...

I need certified copies of my Uk Driving License and HMRC docs for proof of address back to UK (Scottish Widows)

I will atke my own copies, just needs an official with stamp to sign and certify its me...

Would bank also be best place in Munich or has anyone used British High Commission office?

Thanks for any info

Posted

hey factor12x,

as they are related to confirmation of your address and you are in Munich you could take them to the usual office used for personal registration of addresses (Anmeldung) which, IIRC, is the KVR in Munich. They can surely verify your registered address, confirm you are the person shown and put an official City of Munich stamp on a photocopied version to confirm that info. No doubt they will have a post number for billing you for such miscellaneous services. That should be cheaper than a Notary apart from the time factor.

PS: In my village I have used a Doctor, an architect (as an academically titled Dipl.-Engineer), and our local Burgermeister to confirm such documents for UK official needs. In the UK they don't care who does it as long as they equate to the British concept of a responsible person of authority eg. a lawyer, doctor, priest or equivalent professional. In Germany they don't care as long as they're not being asked to take responsibility for anything so they are usually quite flattered by the attention.

2B

Edit: It's best to take along, and give them, a very simply worded example of the applicable English sentence in order to save the embarrassment of them insisting on making an accidental pig's ear of it by using their own school English.

Posted

Just go to any KVR/Bürgerbüro.

They will make the copies and certify them, it will cost 5€ per copy.

Don't make your own copies, they only certify copies they make themselves, on the spot.

I hope you are not allergic to grey eco paper, that's the one they use.

Posted

Thats great - many thanks PandaM and 2B - much appreciated