No more music videos on YouTube for Germany

121 posts in this topic

Posted

It was made official today. Following on from the UK, music videos on YouTube are now blocked to all users from Germany.

Full article on The Local: YouTube blocks music videos on German site in licensing tiff.

GEMA, a body representing 60,000 German artists, said in a statement: "YouTube has announced that it is blocking videos from recording firms on the German YouTube platform - similar to what happened in Britain two weeks ago."

Talks between GEMA and YouTube, owned by US Internet giant Google, about extending a licensing deal have collapsed for the time being, it said, although GEMA said it has signalled that it ready to resume talks.

post-16-1238995910.jpg

Posted

Video killed the radiostar and then Gema killed the industry. Really they shoot themselves in the foot these people.

Posted

Not sure what you mean by 'since after UK' but I can watch music videos on YouTube from the UK.

Posted

YouTube in theory removed music videos from the British site after a similar dispute with the PRS, but in reality they have virtually no control over what videos are uploaded to their site.

Posted

I am able to access music videos just fine, even the certified you tube artists channels.

Posted

I did try some music videos... and they said the video are not able to show in your country... tons of them... they just started to filter them out since yesterday... so more to come

Posted

This video is not available in your country.

We are unable to show you the original featured video for this channel due to age or location restrictions.

But I am only receiving this message on the artist channels. I can still access versions of every song that was blocked on the artist channels via other channels.

Posted

try again today... many of the music videos are not available in your country... gosh... have to use proxy to go through

Posted

I wanted to see Beyonce yesterday and I couldn't get her on youtube but I found her somewhere else :)

Posted

I just found some youtubeproxy site that can bypass that... :-)

Posted

slypimp

Proxy.

Posted

It seems very random what's blocked and what's now. So far I've not had a problem.

Posted

... and, of course, the question here is who gets this GEMA "protection money"? GEMA is not very "transparent" on this this.

Posted

i think its good.

Care to elaborate?

Posted

Smart move limiting the exposure of artists to fans and potential fans, especially when music videos aren't usually available for sale anyways. Well done GEMA, lol.

Posted

Where do they get their internet policies...China?

Has anyone tried using Limewire here? Is it super illegal or similar to the US?

Posted

I've experienced this thing yesterday. A friend of mine sent me a link to a video and it said it was not available in my country. Yet the video was at the artist's official and certified YouTube channel.

This really sucks. I hope they change their minds. lol

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Right. I logged onto my youtube account today and wanted to listen to music from different genres. Whether it was classical music or alternative rock, I kept getting the same message:

Unfortunately, this video is not available in Germany because it may contain music for which GEMA has not granted the respective music rights.

Sorry about that.

WTH!?!?

Posted

Yup they have been cracking down, a lot of non music videos that use songs in the background are being flagged too.

Which is fine, nothing more annoying on youtube than you wanting to find a video clip of something and having to be subjected to a crappy homemade music video.

Posted

You could always use a proxy website to see those pages.