Prepaid SIM cards with flat rate mobile internet

153 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

I'm aware this has probably been discussed before in the past, however I cannot find exactly what I'm looking for when searching through the threads.

Basically, I've got a prepaid mobile with Vodafone/Debitel right now and it's all good except I cannot get internet on it. I want something like a cheap flat rate per month where I can use the internet on my mobile.

I spoke to the guys at Saturn in Alexanderplatz and they advised me to do a google search on flat rate prepay sim card and said there was loads of them.

Unfortunately I cannot find any such thing.

Ideally I'd like to keep my current number as well.

Does anyone have any ideas of where I should start?

Thanks! Mel

Posted

I've also been looking for such a thing for the last 2 years but haven't found anything yet.

The closest thing I found was an O2 Loop prepaid card that lets you access the internet

but that access is charged by the kb.

Posted

eeek that's not too good. I dont quite know what this guy was going on about then... it seems that www.blau.de might do something but it's all in german and google translate is not that accurate so I might get someone to translate it and I'll let you know!

Posted

I've also been looking for such a thing for the last 2 years but haven't found anything yet.

You didn't look far enough. Blau offer a 1Gb package for €9.95 for 30 days on their prepaid card. If youexceed 1Gb then simply pay another €9.95. 9cents/minute for calls and you can take your old number with you if your provider allows it (i.e. you are released from a contract)

Fonic offer a full flatrate internet for €2.50/day on their prepaid service. Unfortunately no monthly flatrate. Calls to most of Europe and the USA are only 9cents/minute, but they won't port an existing number either. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Posted

Tchibo mobile Internet-Flatrate 10GB (Telefonica/o2)

# Erster Monat gratis. Folgemonate € 19,95/Monat – ganz ohne Volumenbegrenzung

# Ohne Vertragslaufzeit – monatlich kündbar und zubuchbar

Posted

Hello all,

I know this is a REALLY old topic, but hopefully my post will give this a bump. I am moving to Munich from London in the next few weeks and would like to start off my new life in Germany with a prepaid SIM, flat rate mobile internet, that also works using VOIP, and is highspeed (7.2mb). The plan is to get a contract once the iPhone 5 is out, but for now I dont want to tie myself up with any provider...

As I dont speak the language (yet)its hard to find a proper comparison site

I found this one in English

My link

but first of all its from end of last year, and second it doesn't mention symio that I also understand have something in this space.

Is there anyone who know where there is an up-to-date comparison or maybe have the answer to my question?

Many thanks and hope to see some of you TT members later this summer in Munich.

Best,

tradian

Posted

You are unlikely to find much up-to-date English information, but at the end of the day, a table such as this is not too language challenging.

Bear in mind that only O2 does not specifically prohibit VoIP, others say it's not allowed, but not all technically prevent it. "Flatrates" have unlimited data, but all cripple the speed, typically after 500Mb, 1Gb, 3Gb or 5Gb (upload+download) in a month - check the smallprint in any offer.

Posted

Thanks YorkshireLad6, it was a table as such I was looking for, just darn hard to find it without at least some German knowledge. Do you happen to know who the ones are that are not technically closing down VOIP? I dont do any mad stuff so any plan that is 500mb and over will do for me..

thanks again,

t

Posted

I have a Tschibo prepaid card. I have been using it for months without having to top up. I can access my email and surf online with it. I've

never ever had such an economical pay-as-you-go card -- and I've had several, in the UK and Germany

Posted

That sounds like a good option arunadasi, ta. Can you do VoIP (skype, viber) with it?

Looking here it seems that you need to top up with a min of 10 euro / month? Do you have a different deal?

http://www.simtarife.de/prepaid/tchibo-mobil.htm

Cheers

tradian

Posted

Tchibo use 02 though, and they're abysmal. 3G in Munich is just a dream. You really want to be on the Telekom network or, failing that, Vodafone.

Posted

Do you mean the T-mobile network? Couldn't imagine that any of the "big" ones have bad coverage in Munich, so thanks for the heads-up

Posted

That sounds like a good option arunadasi, ta. Can you do VoIP (skype, viber) with it?

Looking here it seems that you need to top up with a min of 10 euro / month? Do you have a different deal?

http://www.simtarife.de/prepaid/tchibo-mobil.htm

Cheers

tradian

I bought mine together with an internet stick several months ago, and used the stick a few weeks long. That was awful; my

credit was used up in no time. This was the deal: http://www.tchibo.de/Internet-Stick-inkl-SIM-Karte-p400012726.html

When I got a landline with Telekom I just took the SIM card out of the stick and stuck into my phone.

Since then it's been the cheapest ever! You don't have to get the stick, though! This is the very same deal: http://www.tchibo.de/Handytarif-Guenstig-mobil-telefonieren-c400004834.html

There's no compulsory monthly top-up. I can't do SKype, but it seems that's because I don't have the Skype app on my phone.

I have to say that I don't use it for internet very often; but I do check my mails fairly often when I'm away from home.

Posted

thanks for all your input, invaluable information!

Posted

Hi everyone,

I mentioned in another thread some time ago that I was rather brassed off with Vodafone and cancelled my contract which was just too expensive for what I needed and used.

I followed various links and comments here and thanks for the advice that T-Mobile and Vodafone have the best networks.

Today whilst doing a bit of shopping I noticed an advert for pre-paid sims from Edeka.

They use Vodafone's network and offered a starter pack of one SIM for €12.99 with a €10 credit, or a family pack of 4 SIMs for €29.99 with a total credit of €40.

I opted for the single SIM and was pleasantly surprised when it went through the checkout as a starter pack offer at €9.99 and still gives a credit of €10.

It's currently being authorised and will be up and running in about an hour so I can't say what the service is like yet, but as my contract was with Vodafone and I never had any reception problems, I'm hoping for similar. There's also the possibility to top up online by using your bank account, or via any Edeka checkout.

Calls cost €0.09 per minute to any mobile network or landlines within Germany so I expect to save plenty of money compared to my last contract.

I admit it may not be the ideal solution for everyone, but it is an option to add to all the others.

Here's a link for Edeka-Mobil with a bit more info on their options and no, I don't work for them or have any association with them other than for some of my shopping.

regards,

Malty

Posted

I've said it a number of times before, but Edeka are definitely my favourite pre-paid service. Other reasons you may come to like like them include:

• Calls to most European landlines and US landlines and mobiles (54 countries) for the same price as in Germany (9cents/min)
  • Can be topped up online by credit card
  • Automated top-ups (drop below a certain level and automatically be topped up)
  • Automatic monthly statements and call listings sent by email
  • Free calls to mailbox, or if you don't set it up SMS to you and whoever called you should your phone be off when they called and you subsequently switch it on.
  • 9.95€/month for a 500Mb "flatrate" internet.
  • AND BEST OF ALL - during the month of June, for every 15€ you add to your account you'll actually get a 20€ credit (or load 25€ and get 35€ credit) , so around 25% reduction on all call costs (you can add as much as you want and don't need to actually use it in June, so fill your boots on your annual expected usage!)

If you'd like to PM me your phone number (only) within 14 days I can also add 5€ to to each of our accounts for free ("recommend-a-friend")

Posted

Nice, edeka it is, I like the 0.09p / min to Europe, massive + for me.

YorkshireLad6, ill PM you as soon as I have a nr, moving over to Munich next week.

Posted

I just got service through Edeka, and so far I'm impressed. However, I'm new to smart phones in general, with the 500mb limit, does that mean like the contract providing providers I will just go to a slower speed until the end of the month? If I want another 500mb in the same month is that possible?

Posted

Just to add my 2pf... ;)

I like blau.de...

Gespräche in alle dt. Netze 9 Cent/Min.

Gespräche zur Mailbox 0 Cent/Min.

Internet-Flat 1 GB 30 Tage 9,90 €

Internet-Flat 3 GB 30 Tage 14,90 €

Internet-Flat 5 GB 30 Tage 19,80 €

- Cheers, Peter.

Posted

Blau uses the e-Plus network which is very crappy. I have a SIM for my MiFi with Aldi Talk (run on e-Plus as well) and I almost never get UMTS (3G) speeds, even in Berlin. If I go to the country side it is pretty much unusable because it goes down to EDGE speeds.

e-Plus is only OK-ish if you stay always in the big cities and even then it is still crappy.

If you want Internet on the road, in my opinion you have to go to Telekom and if you can't afford it then Vodafone.

Posted

... with the 500mb limit, does that mean like the contract providing providers I will just go to a slower speed until the end of the month? If I want another 500mb in the same month is that possible?

Unfortunately it is. You can still use internet services (no data limit) but it's excruciatingly slow. Most German prepaid services work like this. Your only solution is a second card which you fire up for the rest of the month when the first expires. You'd then have to forward (and pay for) calls to be forwarded from your main number if this is important to you...

Posted

Hi, I am also looking for a good prepaid smartmobile surf option, any views on T-mobile. This is from their website

Xtra Tarife

Flexibel telefonieren und surfen

Der neue Prepaid-Tarif mit Xtra 3-fach Flat

Daten-Flat mit bis zu 7,2 Mbit/s

SMS Flat im Telekom Mobilfunknetz

Telefon-Flat im Telekom Mobilfunknetz

Einmaliger Preis für die Xtra Karte: 10,00 €.

Mit 10,00 € Startguthaben + 5,- € Bonus!

Posted

That plan only includes 200MB per month. The problem with Telekom is there are not many resellers, so you are stuck with their expensive plans. Congstar is the only one I know reselling Telekom, they have a plan with 500MB for 10 EUR a month, but I did not try it myself yet.