Irish economy leaves Germans feeling resentful

13 posts in this topic

Posted

So what it is all based on easily available credit and over reliance on the building Industry. I have seen this grim TV series.

Irish Times: Irish race from bust to boom and back again leaves Germans feeling confused and resentful

The final drop of goodwill towards the Irish evaporated last September when Berlin, through gritted teeth, signed loans and guarantees to prop up the Dublin-based Depfa bank, a subsidiary of Munich property investor Hypo Real Estate. Today that bill has reached €102 billion and counting. ... Regardless of who was responsible for the mess, it stuck in the craw of the Berlin finance ministry to have to bail out a bank that had deprived Germany of billions in tax revenue by moving to Ireland.

lolo is Irish...just in case you did not know.

Posted

...and if Angela doesn't give Paudeen a dig-out, she can fuck off...we'll give the whole lot back to the Queen, apologise and tell her that the boys in the GPO in 1916 had drink taken...

Posted

The article could apply equally to the US/UK model of "Turbo-Capitalism" which was similarly based on speculative bullshit.

C'mon Irish Toytowners! You still have a sparkling green island with friendly, welcoming, hospitable people. It might piss down with rain every two days, the economy might have gone tits up, but, FFS, it's still Ireland, and us non-Irish still justifiably love it to bits.

Posted

Whilst we appreciate that, we also worry somewhat that "yez are all deluded!". What you've just described is a fantasy concept which stopped being real somewhere around 1987.

Posted

What is happening to the Irish economy right now has been the subject of offline speculation by myself and a whole bunch of Irish TTers since what,

Christ, three or four years?

No surprises which bastards had / have their snouts in the trough. And no surprises who they now expect to pay for it.

Posted

To say the economy's in tatters is an understatement. The Bludget today will reinforce that.

RTE is tweeting the budget here. Reckon they'll give the public sector a good drubbing.

Posted

Reckon they'll give the public sector a good drubbing.

They didn't - they just fucked everyone, the bastards.

Posted

The income taxes in ireland were unsustainably low and were being cross subsidised (for lack of a better phrase) by one off property taxes.

The more property taxes came in, the less income tax the government asked for, and the more pay rises the civil servants got.

Now the property tax money tree has stopped producing the goods, unfortunately Ireland has to get back to bog standard governance.

In Germany I am still paying 500Euro+ more in tax per month than I would in Ireland.

And indeed the cost of living etc is higher in Ireland.

Course it is.

If the german government were to suddenly slash income taxes here so that we suddenly have 1000s of euros more per month extra disposable income in our pockets you would see retail prices, rents and property prices go through the roof here too to take advantage of the new found flushness of the population!!!

Posted

Will I am not a lover of taxes they have there place and reason as long as the government provides services to the people it can be tolerable, but the problem with Germany is that not only do you pay high taxes but your choice of what to do here is extremely limited. There should be more freedom to open different varieties of businesses. Without having to go through the wonderful red tape the government here likes to lay on people, but heres a question if the way of living is so good why are alot of young people ditching Germany by the thousands. I think the youth now are like why should we pay more and get fewer opportunities when we can pay less in tax may have a higher cost of living but have a much better chance of making money. I have some friends in banking who works as advisors and make a tenth of what they could make in say the UK, US, Australia, and several other countries. They go to school the longest but the get the less out of it in the end. So of course the Germans are mad but they should be made at themselves for making it so hard for there own people to come up.

Posted

"I have some friends in banking who works as advisors and make a tenth of what they could make in say the UK, US, Australia, and several other countries. They go to school the longest but the get the less out of it in the end. "

We can all say that we - or anyone else - could make more money in a different job. It's a given. So it doesn't actually mean anything.

But a lot prefer the greater welfare state cushion, of course. Or don't actually care about more money. And a lot actually like that endless school life. It's hardly an onerous burden from what I see my step-kids, friends etc doing: bit of study, few months abroad, a few holidays, bit of piece meal work for a big name employer, with parents and taxpayer footing the rest of the bill.

And is it so hard for Germans to "come up"? Which nation tops the world's export lists? And how do you think it happened - by magic? It's hardly a basket case economy. My family here is packed with entrepeneurs and people who've spent decades with some of the world's biggest exporters.

Posted

And is it so hard for Germans to "come up"? Which nation tops the world's export lists? And how do you think it happened - by magic? It's hardly a basket case economy. My family here is packed with entrepeneurs and people who've spent decades with some of the world's biggest exporters.

It is not that it is a basket case country, so I think you missed the point of what I said, basically and nobody who actually follows things here can says this Germany populations is dropping like flies and the only thing keeping it some what up is the influx of immigrants which the blind germans say they don't need but these same blind ones don't seem to notice the exodus of the youth of the country to other countries which Germany needs to keep the welfare state alive and well. It is funny there was actually a program on NZZ talking about this exact same thing and how the other countries are more than happy to take the youth from here disgruntled and well trained. Also what is it that you actually do SWIMMER in export.

Posted

I did wonder if the graffiti on a slide in one of our local parks - 'fuck off paddy' and 'paddy ist'ne heute' (or something German?) was about a local student or the entire place. I guess it is the country.

Bit of a worry with my blatant paddy O' surname, even if I'm obviously english. Thankfully my 3 year old son can't read yet :)

I don't know how long it's been there, but am thinking of taking some wire scrubber when we go play and clearing it off soon.