Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Places to see in Wales

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm going to Wales next week for work, but I am staying the weekend so that I can tour around. I've never been to Wales before, so I was wondering what I should see when I am there. I will be going to Aberystwyth to visit the university there and I am interested in scenic drives or even seeing farms. I am planning on renting a car for the weekend. (By the way, I'm American, so this could be an adventure in driving itself!)

Is Cardiff worth going to?

I will also be going to Bristol on this trip. I know it's not in Wales, but you can also suggest things for me to do there too.

Thanks,

Melissa

Posted

oh dear, this is going to be a massacre... :lol: I may as well start by saying "you can watch all the men in wellies running after sheep" :D

Bristol is lovely, by the way. Also Aberystwyth. can't remember specific places though

Posted

if you are going this weekend Cardiff (or Caerdydd in Welsh) will be absolute murder on the saturday because it is match day. The entire city centre around the stadium is pedestrian only and you get hordes of Englishmen coming i by car and train. So steer clear. The city centre of cardiff is nice. some pleasant buildings to look at plus some nice shopping. Cardiff Castle is worth a visit too. There are also the Maritime Museum and the Museum of Welsh Life out at St Fagans. But much of the inner-city outside of the city.centre is a dump.

The best bits of Wales are not really the cities but the countryside. Visit the slate mines at Blaenau Ffestiniog. And take a trip on the Ffestiniog Railway Walk or take the train up Mount Snowdon. Walk along the coastline of West Wales. Visit the Castles in Caernarfon in the north or Caerphilly in the south.

One thing to be carefull of when navigating is town names. they are often written in both Welsh and English but sometimes just in one language

There is loads more to do as well!

don't forget to spend some time in Aberystwyth as well, cos that town is also quite nice

edit: please note, i keep editing this post, so keep looking!

Posted

Bristol is lovely

What!! :blink: Bristol has one of the highest drug crime problems in the country. Its a nice night life, but stay well clear of the underpasses and centre at night if you are travelling there.

In terms of farms, you are heading to the right place.

Agree with OG, steer well clear of Cardiff centre on a Saturday afternoon. You could head over the Severn bridge in to Devon, a lot of farms etc that is right up your alley.

Posted

Llyn peninsula, Portmerion perhaps, Aberaeron (close to Aberystwyth)

rather the coast and countryside than Cardiff IMO

Posted

You could head over the Severn bridge in to Devon, a lot of farms etc that is right up your alley.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite a trek from Aberystwyth though? and there are plenty of farms in Wales

Posted

Yeah but if she is down Cardiff way, then Devon is a lot better than Cardiff!! ;)

Posted

@ Boomtown rat: my thoughts extactly! If she wants to go to Cardiff, there are things to do there but i would stick to the west and north of Wales in the small towns, the slate mines, the railways, the mountains, the coast

edit: @ 3Lions. Devon is LOOONG trip from Aberystwyth. Cardiff is a long drive as well, especially for just a weekend. Don't forget, only A-Roads most of the way!

Posted

I did a horse drawn boat rip in Llangollen. I was only there for a couple of hours but really enjoyed it. Holyhead is quite ugly though...

Posted

You must also go to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Also known as LLfanfair-PG in Angelsey.

008.gif

Posted

I come form Snowdonia.

Go up north! Snowdonia is one of the most beautiful parts of Britain. Visit Llanberis and eat a heart attack producing "Big Jim" in Petes Eats!

If you hire a car drive through the Llanberis Pass to Capel Curig then down the Nant FFrancon Pass with the Glyder mountains on your left and the Carneddau mountains on your right (my home mountain range!)

Weather is probably crap for going high right now and dangerous unless you have correct gear. I am not sure if you can take the train to the summit of Snowdon in winter. I just checked, and no you can't But you can at least check the weather first

Posted

You could go to Bath from Bristol, that's very pretty, lots of stuff to look at.

I have no idea about Wales as I have never actually been there. Not once. Not even by mistake. Have never had a reason to go so never have.

*ducks*

Posted

oooh, follow Jeremy's tip, I used to go to Llanberis every year with my Uni climbing club, it's lovely around there. Also Eric the Hamsetr is right, the clifton bridge is a lovely part of Bristol (@ 3 lions, yeah I was there 10 years ago and my sister was living in the redcliffe (?)... whatever, posh area, very nice then but there were some rough areas too...)

I agree with Bath and the coutryside, wouldn't stay in Bristol as such, or Cardiff.. but then I'm not a big city fan..

PS: Owain.. the skipping sheep is the best thign I've seen all day! :lol:

Posted

Llyn is deffo nice. My family is from Holyhead although I wouldn't particularly recommend that, although Treaddur Bay is nice. Snowdonia is obviously good although it depends on the weather

Posted

I was also about to say that if you're going to Bristol then go to Bath, so to speak.

Bear in mind that although Wales is a small country it takes a while to get anywhere by road because of the mountains. I've cycled all round it so I remember... Personally I'd spend the weekend driving either north or south up the coast rather than slogging to Cardiff. Try a couple of the castles mentioned above, or Harlech. If you like just driving around then just try any road inland.

And let it be said that you'll hardly see Wales at its best in February but it's a free trip so what the heck.

Oh and it WILL rain ;)

Enjoy!

Posted

Forgot to mention the Lleyn Peninsula! It is goegeous. Very quiet and beautiful coatsline. I drove my now wife down to Aberdaron from Caernarfon when she forst came to Wales. Very romantic place.

Posted

As already said Bath is a lovely place and Glastobury, Salisbury, Avebury and Stonehenge (overrated - Avebury is much nicer) are also very nice places to visit. All of these are no problem with a car.

Posted

If you're after something different, and are going to the North, head for Portmerion. The "Italian village" there is a very surreal place.

Built by an eccentric architect by using bits of old buildings he repatriated from far off lands.

Not particularly Welsh, it has to be said, but a facsinating place.

I believe you can actually rent the places for the night too. (spooky)

http://www.virtualportmeirion.com

Posted

main attraction would be standing on offa's dyke and looking at the forest of dean.

Posted

OG - Martime Museum has gone from Cardiff.

To be honest, if you are in Aber, I would stay on that west coast and go north. Theres some great castles and history around Porthmadog, go and visit the grave at Beth Gellert. Theres lots of little nice villages and great places to head to up north.

Down south will be full of people for the rugby. Actually to sample that ture atmosphere, find yourself a small pub with a TV for 1730 on saturday to watch the game.

P

Posted

Pootle, I totally agree with you and Jeremy about the north. There is so much so see there, that there is really no point treking all the way down to Cardiff (but if she wishes to make the trip then best to provide some info on things to do). North and West Wales have so much to offer, why go further if you don't have to?

btw, when did the maritime museum go? It is ages since i went "sightseeing" in Cardiff!

And Wibble! Get serious! she is there for one weekend not a fortnight, it takes long enough to drive down from Aber to cardiff without trekking all the way to bloody stone henge!

Posted

@pootle:

Its Beddgelert (sorry to split a hair) and a beautiful place.

Southerners tend to be crazier with the rugby than up north. Down there when very pissed you may find yourself singing along with "Sospan Bach".

Posted

iechyd da!