Odd jobs you did to pay the rent

133 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi TTers,

Just found out about a very disappointing turn of events that has me bummed out about human kind. So cheer me up with your most embarrassing jobs you've had. Pictures are welcome!

Here, I'll start:

At age 20 living in LA without a work permit I hooked up with this car valet service called "Valet Girls" (Get it? Like Valley Girls :rolleyes: ). We had to wear pink tuxedo jackets, pink bow ties and white hot pants. Yikes. Everyone but me was an actress and work was always very dramatic. We were hired out to very posh private parties in Beverly Hills or the Hollywood Hills or wherever else people with too much money lived. I did get to drive a lot of VERY nice cars though. Weirdest part was that the hosts always offered us drinks half way through the night.

Your turn!

Posted

Great thread idea. Rock and roll. Let´s hear it!

Posted

pictures, meikeerik? :lol:

stripper. :ph34r: Had to pay for University, somehow.

Posted

None of me, but the company still exists!!!

http://www.valetgirlsparking.com/

Looks a bit tamer and more professional than I remember. :ph34r:

Posted

Clients may request from a variety of uniforms.

Aha!!!

Posted

Back in the days of yore, I remember having to spend a total of 4 hours a day on public transportation to get to the university, then to my job, then back to my flat.

Back then I remember getting money to open Post Office boxes for people who were probably doing illegal stuff. I didn't ask and I didn't care I needed to buy textbooks.

Posted

"Our valet parking team is comprised of stunning women. Ranging from Models, singers and dancers, to doctors, lawyers and other professionals."

Whew, the economy is looking pret-ty bad. Better brush up my CV, as I ain't a woman, nor especially stunning.

Posted

Played in a Big Band

Built Houses

Tore Down Houses (not the same houses)

Was that guy who rides around on the back of the garbage truck for 2 days...gross, but really fun.

Posted

Swept floors in a tobacco warehouse. Duties also including cleaning the toilets.

Posted

Worked a telemarketing gig when I just got back from a five year stay in Europe and had no local refs. You'd close an account when a customer finally figured out how you were conning them to stay a customer, but you wouldn't close any other accounts for other companies' services, which they'd bought when they opened their account.

You won't believe the number of people who pay their credit card bills without noticing what they are paying for. It was a daily occurrence, almost, to hear of someone who'd been paying for three open accounts for one or two years, before they noticed.

They were scamming soldiers going to Iraq, who were trying to close their accounts before leaving, but of course, not closing everything. I was making great money, but it was too much. The elderly and the soldiers--I had to quit. I am surprised that I started at all, but it was fascinating to see, and to see the kinds of people who worked there. It was a gorgeous office with the best cocoa on Earth outside of Belgium, and I was too curious to quit for awhile. But I did quit. Although I'm sure I've got quite a lot of bad karma.

Posted

That's disgusting, funf. If they are still around an anonymous tip to someone is in order.

Posted

I haven't had any truly embarrassing jobs, but I was a directory enquiries person for a mobile phone company for a while. We had to ask if the person wanted to be connected to the number - for about 70c a minute more than if they'd dialled themselves.

I used to work Saturday night shifts, 8-8, because it was 2.5 time (and still only €20/h), but lots of people would call having taken an overdose or looking to talk to someone. And all those calls would be fielded to me, so I'd easily spend half my Saturday night counselling people and trying to locate them to report their state and need of assistance to the police.

The only bonus was that other people dealt with the pervert calls in return. What sort of person rings directory enquiries and asks the operator what they're wearing?!

Posted

Held several odd jobs in college.

Support to triage nurses. Carrying guys dumped in front of the hospital onto a strechter, wrestling with drunks, serving coffee or reading magazines. This was embarrassing by the raw humanity of it all and some of the stupid things people did with themselves.

University van driver. Seems normal, right? The stuff people leave on a van? After a night of fun and drinks? uggh. And I had to drive one or two to the hospital mentioned above.

And most embarrassing for me was simultaneous translator, which started as a college job and took a life of it's own - This was for a young French playboy business man that liked to travel with me and his "assistant". Together they had the IQ of half a dead hamster.

I would end up not only translating negotiations and contracts but actually doing some of the deals. This guy not only had someone's money to burn but a gift for getting fleeced. It was completely embarrassing to be associated in any way with this muppet. But not all of it was bad - private jet and South of France had some nice points. But at the end of 16 months, I hired a lawyer for him and walked. 20 odd years later I still get Christmas cards, obviously signed by some service, not in his distinct and unreadable handwriting.

Posted

I was a debt collector for 6 months in college. You felt bad at first but eventually it was actually cathartic because you didn't have to be polite to the people you were calling.

Posted

Lots of bar work, selling Power Rangers in Sainsbury's the Christmas they were in fashion (yes I knew exactly how many pink ones we had and no, bratty nasty kiddies didn't get them), Department of Social Security admin staff including interviews for crisis loans (have had chairs chucked at my head more than once) and fraud enquiries (mostly Nigerians with imaginary children), typist, pharmacy dispenser and remarkably enough, podium dancing - one German techno club and one gay disco.

No photos (said I wouldn't work if photos existed), no nudity or stripping either.

Posted

Usher and cleaning service in a cinema (three years)

Things people leave behind in a cinema - and on the seats. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

Operating the mangle in a laundry (two days)

Four hours per day in Hell in the middle of summer, this mangle was gas-heated with open flames.

Selling cigarettes from a tray at the Herbstfest in Rosenheim (16 days p.a. for three years)

Great job, tons of tips, raw humanity.

McDonald's (one year)

The teamwork and organization are really impressive, the bosses were one step above warthogs morally but made the business hum. Most of us were students (law, business, physiotherapy) who needed the cash and went on to be successful in our careers. Turned me off fast food for years, though. Worst part was the french fries station, greasy floor, greasy air, spattering fat. Sales was ok, most fun was kitchen. Best part: They paid my final salary twice, I cleaned out the account and left Regensburg without a forwarding address. But they started it by not giving me a reward for turning in DM130 I had found on the floor. Moral warthogs.

Posted

Oh, I forgot (or I blocked it out): I was an elf for two years at Santa's grotto. Lots of singing and dancing.

I spent some of the time in the reindeer enclosure. They were all female reindeer to stop them fighting, and all sedated, but the drugs made them really horny and they'd quite often start dry humping each other in front of groups of children. We told them they were trying to learn flight acrobatics and were just practicing.

Other times I had my own Santa (we had 12 in total), and would bring the kids in to meet him. One afternoon a woman kicked her three year old unconscious for having wet herself from the excitement. I had to restrain Santa from doing the same to the mother.

Posted

To help me through my student days, I was a.

Grave stone painter, restoring the text on old stones (in situ)

Tarot card reader on one of those expensive chatlines.

and a movie stand in when one of the actors was ill.

After all that, being an artist is a normal life.

Posted

I was an elf for two years at Santa's grotto. Lots of singing and dancing.

Learn something new every day. Would have never associated Santa with a grotto. Is this his summer retreat? Does he get to wear Hawaiian shirts?

Another fun job: Hiking the spoiled dogs of the rich through canyons. I only did this for about eight months (Oct-May, then it got too hot). I had keys and access codes or personal relationships with maids to get into the home and pick up the dogs. Then I would drive them to a canyon and go hiking for an hour. These were mostly dogs with behavioral issues owned by the rich (and sometimes D-list famous). My favorite was a Golden Retriever named Sundance who was owned by a well-known screenwriter living in Santa Monica. Sundance always reeked of weed and was VERY mellow for the first 30 minutes or so. He would sit in the back of my car leaning back in the seat and I swear he was grinning ear to ear. I started picking him up early to give him a chance to come down from his trip a bit and actually get him to walk. The other dogs were quite sweet, too, though some were destructive and/or aggressive. They all loved the hikes though and loved to see me. Denise Richards dogs were the worst. All just a dense as her.

Posted

Tarot card reader on one of those expensive chatlines.

Did you have to have any special training to do this or are these Tarot chatlines just a total rip off with any old person at the end of the line?