British and Irish foods in German supermarkets

193 posts in this topic

Posted

I read this message today and thought: If anyone spots items, from our home lands, appearing on German supermarket shelves, to post them here.

For example, I saw that our Hit supermarket was selling four different flavours of Branston Pickle - but not the brown one :( .

An aside: Keydeck, do you have your camera with you at all times?

Posted

The Rewe on the corner of Schliessheimerstr. and Herzogstr. currently has Cathedral City 16 month cheddar cheese in with the packaged cheeses. I don't know how long they will carry it.

Posted

For example, I saw that our Hit supermarket was selling four different flavours of Branston Pickle - but not the brown one .

it isn't Branston Pickle, it is relish. completely different stuff.

Posted

Saw HP Sauce in Real last week!

Posted

Was waiting for a thread like this to ask:

Does anyone know if its possible to get Buckfast anywhere here.

Most likely a long shot but you never know.

Really miss the stuff...oh the memories

Posted

I read this message today and thought: If anyone spots items, from our home lands, appearing on German supermarket shelves, to post them here.

For example, I saw that our Hit supermarket was selling four different flavours of Branston Pickle - but not the brown one .

An aside: Keydeck, do you have your camera with you at all times?

Our Edeka has been selling Tate & Lyle's Golden Syrup. That, combined with some rather old pudding rice, a slow cooker, a splosh of milk and a dab of sugar have combined to make poor German H v. confused about English eating habits this week.

Posted

Theres a rule over HP sauce outside of the UK.

Wherever you see it the food is bound to be rubbish.

Examples - Teneriffe, Cyprus

Posted

I am not sure if (m)any of you have a Metro card. I was there today and I noticed they had a new brand of crisps "Burts". I bought a packet of salt and vinegar just to see what they were like - and I thought they were good. They had smokey bacon and ready salted (I think). Cost about €2.50 (surprised I thought they were cheaper, hmmm.)

Posted

Big fan of "Irische Bauernkäse" from Hit.. Cheap, and excellent with baguette, wine, and assorted antipasti..

Posted

Well, you have already visited (and commented on) my gallery, but other readers of this thread may not be aware of it, so i post the link here.

Posted

In Rewe today I saw 230g bars of Cadbury's Whole Nut and Fruit and Nut - not in the chocolate section, but with the biscuits for some reason. Bit pricey though at E3.29 a pop.

Posted

Why would you want to buy Cadbury's here when there is such a wide selection of real chocolate available?

Posted

because Cadbury's chocolate rules. The only one that comes close to it is Ritter Sport Alpenmilch.

Posted

Was the cadburys called chocolate or some weird name? I remember a few years ago the EU (or someone) objected to cadburys calling their chocolate chocolate as it didn't have enough chocolate in it.

Anyone now got a craving for chocolate :-)

Posted

because Cadbury's chocolate rules. The only one that comes close to it is Ritter Sport Alpenmilch.

For now. I am sure that when Kraft have finished "improving" the brand it will be just another bland pile of crud.

I wonder if we will be able to tell the differnce between all the various brands or if they just use the same generic chocolate in all of them.

Cadburys fruit and nut tasting exactly the same as Milka? Yugh

Posted

It's hardly true to call Cadbury's produce 'chocolate', considering it only contains 20% cocoa solids...

Posted

I don't care how much chocolate is in it if it tastes good, cannie beat a flake, although the dark chocolate at Aldi is suprisingly good.

Posted

post-37596-12529328468055.png

A wide range of Sharwood's chutney is available from Karstadt. The original (shown here) has been my favourite for more years than I care to remember.

Posted

Does anyone know any supermarkets in Munich thatr sell Magners Cider? My local supermarket had it but have stopped doing it! Guess I wasn't buying enough of the stuff :D

Posted

Duffels in Erding appear to, but it takes about an hour on the s-bahn to get there from central Munich