Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

No-win no-fee law firms in Germany

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a question in the legal area:

Did anyone hear about lawyers that represent you for free in a civil trial against a percentage of the alleged claim ... IF THE CASE IS WON?

Posted

or if you have heard of this in any other country of the world ...

Posted

Only if the lawyer is a friend and the case is not terribly complicated.

Posted

A lot of people have legal insurance, in which case you don't pay anything yourself regardless of whether you win or lose. The premium might go up though.

Posted

It's very common in the US for personal injury and malpractice lawsuits. I have no idea about here in Germany, though.

Posted

the legal insurance is an ideea but...

I was interested if it is posible for me to go to a lawyer ...tell him my case ...he analizes the the case and if he thinks that he can win the case he takes it and we agree that if we win he takes his part of the received compensation given by the court.

I think it is important that the lawyer tells you his true oppinion (he knows better) on chances to win the case ...and not just start a trial wich is unlikely to win ..and for wich you pay legal taxes and the lawyer.

If this is not posible it means that the lawyer will always tell you to star a trial so he can take his pay . Not fair!

Posted

It's very common in the US for personal injury and malpractice lawsuits. I have no idea about here in Germany, though.

yeah that`s what i`m talking about ...

Posted

If this is not posible it means that the lawyer will always tell you to star a trial so he can take his pay . Not fair!

Umm, you already have to pay the lawyer just for the consultation, when he looks at your case.

Posted

If the lawyer gives you such bad advice, you are always free to sue him for professional negligence. (Requiring another lawyer, starting the whole crazy spiral all over again.)

Posted

Such a scheme exists in the UK

Posted

No, litigating based on a "no win, no fee" agreement (Erfolgshonorar) is considered as professional misconduct (it´s called "standeswidrig") in Germany. Therefore you won´t find a lawyer doing it, at least not officially. There are a number of companies that will "invest" into a lawsuit on that basis, though. They are called "Prozessfinanzierer", some links here: http://www.anwaltsservice.de/aws_links/aws-links_2798.html

Posted

Generally, if you win a civil suit your opponent has to cover your costs. This does not apply, for example, to the first leg of a labor suit.