Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Regular English-speaking meet-up in Rostock

42 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Rostockians :), If you're looking to have a few good laughs then I would just like to invite you to join me and my friends. We meet up once a month, usually for breakfast in town, just to talk (in English, of course) and catch up. So far, in our little group, we have five Americans, one Canadian, one Australian (who's from the Philipines), one Brit, and one German. We have met twice so far and once at my house for a Cookie Swap which was tons of fun. Please know that whoever is interested in joining us is more than welcome and if you'd like to know when the next meet-up is, please let me know and I'll post here the next date and time. We are hoping in late April to early May to plan a mini vacation together, and as I always say, the more the merrier :). I look forward to any replies. I wish you all a wonderful weekend!!

Posted

I'd love to join you sometime. Can I ask what you are all doing here? University? Trailing spouses? Long term? Short term?

Posted

Hi there SM :), it would be great to have you. I like that, 'Trailing wife', that's me alright. My husband is in the military and works at the Laage AF base. Me...I'm just a housewife raising my brood of kids :). But I wouldn't have it any other way. The other ladies I meet up with, a couple of them are also here because of the military, a few others were here because of the university and then met and married their hubby's, one lady is a missionary here with her family and that's about it. They are all a great bunch of ladies and we have alot of laughs when we are together. As soon as I find out when the next get-together will be, I will post it here. Hope to meet you soon!!

Posted

Hi there! I would love to join the English-speaking group, if you have some room! I'm graduating from college with my German Bachelor's degree, moving to Rostock and getting married...My Fiancee studies at the University of Rostock (Mechanical Engineering) and I think I would love having some good social contacts and english speaking friends in Germany! I'll be there May 13th, but Probably will be busy until June getting settled in.

Let me know :)

-Katie

Posted

Hi, have just looked at the posts again after a long absence. I leave on Sunday for a 6 week visit to my family in Australia but wondered if an old lady (68 in body but younger in my head!) would be welcome at your get-togethers when I return in June. Since the departure of my Australian friend to Koblenz and my Texan friend to Ulm I have no contact with native English speakers and really miss a good, old, colloquial chat and a few laughs. I also miss the contact with their English speaking kids!

I once proposed a book lending/borrowing idea, maybe we could take that up too.

All the best with your meetings, hope to join you later in the year.

Anni.

Posted

Hi. I am not going to be moving to Rostock until late December, but it is never too early to start making friends. I am moving with my German Airforce boyfriend. He will be stationed at Laage AFB. I would love to keep in touch with you all until I get there and can become part of any meeting groups. A little about me- I am 30. Live in Arizona right now. Born and raised in Pittsburgh PA. I am in medical sales...soon to turn into housewife. Basically in the next 6 months my life is going to turn upsidedown. I just picked up Rosetta Stone!

Posted

Hi there kmoro147, that is so great that you'll be moving here soon. My husband is also in the German military and also stationed at Laage. We have been here 11 years total and probably staying another 4-5 years. It would be really great to have you join our little group that meets up once a month. If you have any questions please just ask, I am more than happy to help you out.

Posted

Hi Texan! New to TT, not so new to Rostock. Are you still organizing monthly get-togethers? I'd be interested in joining! I've been in Rostock for 9 years, but it seems anyone I become friends with sticks around for a couple of years max and then I have to start the friend search all over again :( It'd be great to be around some native English speaking ladies again!

Hope to hear from you!

Posted

Hi there RocknCopi, the next meetup in Rostock will be September 1st at 10 am for the breakfast buffet at Alex's in the Neumarkt, or is it Neuemarkt? I can't remember :). Would love to have you!! If possible just give me a heads up if you can join and I'll reserve a seat for you :).

Posted

Hi there everybody!

I arrived in Rostock about 10days ago to be with my German boyfriend who I met whilst travelling in Australia!

I´m learning German bit by bit, but I would love to meet some other people who also speak English and start making some friends here.

I´d love to come to the breakfast on the 1st of September- is this possible texaninrostock?

I hope to meet some of you soon!

Posted

Definitely Karys01, you are very welcome to join us, the more the merrier. So where exactly are you from in England? My husband is half Bristish, and well, I fell in love with his accent 15 years ago and we've been together ever since :). Unfortunately, since being with me so long his accent is gone and he sounds like a Yank, as his mom would call him. Anyway, will be great to meet you. If you'd like my phone number, just in case, email me. Tonica

Posted

Hey there,

Think you could add one more to your group? I'm from Australia and although I've been living in Rostock for over a year and a half, sadly lacking in English speaking friends. Hope to hear from you soon :D

Posted

Definitely AusCamillien!! As you see from the posts earlier we are already meeting up tomorrow at Alex's. I will try to be the first one there. They usually seat us further in and up the stair (I think it's just one stair) to the right. There should be about six of us, not including you, coming. I am half hispanice with dark curly hair so I should be easy to find, I usually have a big cheesy smile on my face too :). Look forward to meeting you and if you need my cell #, just ask. Till then!!

Posted

Hello...

I know I'm super late in responding, but I hope I can meet up with all of you tomorrow as well. I moved here from the States about three weeks ago. Anyway...I will listen for the English speaking table and hope I can squeeze in. - Marcie

Posted

Marcie, we will see you there :)!!! Looking forward to it, Tonica

Posted

Hi

My name is Maria and I have been Germany for 3 years and have had no luck in meeting English or Spanish speaking people and would so much like to make some friends in this country I am originally from Texas and live in a town 1 hr away from Rostock and to be honest it is getting a bit too lonely here, my husband is in the military and travels lately quite a bit and upon reading this post decided to write in the hopes of meeting some nice people. Looking forward to making some new friends...Maria :)

Posted

Hi.

My name is Olga. I came to Rostock in February (to live with my husband :))and I am looking for people who speak English. I am not a native speaker, but I did my degree in English philology, so it is not a problem. I am looking for nice and interesting people to talk to and share...whatever I have :) It would be really nice to join your group!

Posted

Hi Lionessa,

I will definitely post here, on Toytown, our next English meetup so hopefully you can join in. I do send out a monthly email to everyone in our group, to remind them of the date, time and place at where we will be meeting up. If you would like to be added to this list, you can just email me here at TT your normal email address. I will be sending out that reminder email soon. I hope to get the chance to meet you. I'm sure you will enjoy meeting all the wonderful ladies who are a part of this group :).

Posted

Thanks a lot, texaninrostock! I'd love to join your group!

Posted

The next English brunch in Rostock will be Tuesday, the 6th of October at 10 am at Alex's in the Neumarkt. If there's anyone interested, please let me know so I can reserve a seat for you. Thanks!