New in Munich (or new to this forum)

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

If you are new in Munich, or live in Munich and are new to this forum, feel free to post a message here to introduce yourself to the rest of the TT community.

Do not, however, ask your newbie questions here about life in Munich. Nobody will answer them.

If you have basic questions like

• How do I find an apartment to rent?
  • Which are the best bars/nightclubs/restaurants?
  • How do I get English-language TV?
  • Which is the best district to live in?
  • Where are the best schools for learning German?
  • How do I meet people?
  • Or one of the other multitude of questions that all newcomers ask...

...then use the search function. All these questions and more have been asked and answered many times over already. Feel free to post to one of the existing threads to ask for updates. Do not, however, start a new thread about one of these topics that has already been covered a thousand times - it is tiring for the regular readers of this board and they won't help you.

If you're looking to meet people, or want to know what's going on, see the Munich meet ups section as well as the Munich events calendar.

Also note, TT is not a "contacts board". Do not make a post like "Hi, I'm new in town, I like cinema and clubbing, if anyone wants to go out for a drink let me know". This post will not work. Nobody will contact you. If you want to meet people you need to be proactive and attend one of the events. Newcomers are always welcome to show up. Make sure you post a reply to the event discussion first though, to let people know you are coming.

For a humorous look at the kind of stupid questions that newcomers ask, and the questions you should be avoiding, see the pleeeze help me thread.

Posted

Hi, I am 25 years old from the US. Just moved from Muenster for work. Quite busy with work and taking german class most days.

Looking for anyone new who wants to hop on a bike and explore the city! Also any germans out there that want to improve their english we can then both practice!

thanks, Konrad

Posted

Ok I am not new to Munich but I am just beginning to use my Toytown account. I am looking for some people to practice German with. I see one group that meets to speak German but they meet in the evenings. Unfortunately evenings are impossible for me. Are there some other mommies around with the same goal?? Looks like a few people here are looking to improve their German I hope I do not get beat up for posting in the wrong place, which I probably did:)

-Liz

Posted

Hi all,

My name is Kenny. I'm from Texas and California. I just arrived and I'm pretty new to Munich and Germany as a whole.

I'm a software professional who has taken a long term assignment here and will stay for at least a year. It's been my dream to travel outside the US.

Wanting to be here is one thing, but being here has opened up a few new challenges for me to tackle, like learning German, getting by and finding people to talk to outside of work!

It would be nice to talk to fellow English speakers and this seems to be the best place to set something up like that. I'll keep an eye out for meetups, but feel free to message me for something like visiting places, grabbing a drink and gaming.

Cheers!

Posted

Hey y'all

I am Krishna, from India working in Munich. And no, I don't have an accent that will make it harder for you to understand.

Have been here for about a year. Most of my friends moved out after the course I was studying got over. I stared a Job here in Muinch.

So, I would like to know if someone would like to hangout for a beer or two? Life in winter is pretty darn boring.

You can message me or write here. If you know of any other meetups, it will be fun to join!

Have a great Weekend!

Posted

Hi I am Ramesh from India. I arriving in Munich next week. I am coming to Munich for work for short duration. Eagerly waiting to enjoy the beautiful Bavaria.

Cheers,

Ramesh

Posted

Hi everyone,

My name is Sara and I moved to Munich, from the US, to teach at a bilingual school a couple months ago. While I have made some friends since arriving I am looking to meet more new people. I am 27 years old and have a lot of different interest including traveling, sports, movies, exploring new places, and I'm always up for trying new things. I would love to find a friend or a couple of friends to travel around Europe with as there are a lot of places I'm looking forward to seeing. Look forward to meeting you all!

Posted

Hey y'all

I am Krishna, from India working in Munich. And no, I don't have an accent that will make it harder for you to understand.

Have been here for about a year. Most of my friends moved out after the course I was studying got over. I stared a Job here in Muinch.

So, I would like to know if someone would like to hangout for a beer or two? Life in winter is pretty darn boring.

You can message me or write here. If you know of any other meetups, it will be fun to join!

Have a great Weekend!

Hey there I'm up for a beer if you are!

Posted

Hi everyone,

My names Lucy and I moved out here over a year ago with my boyfriend and dog from sunny England. Unfortunately so far, I haven't made the effort to meet new people but would love to find some like minded people to meet up with as I'm here for another 2 years.

I'm 26, love going out, drinking, eating, watching films, playing sport etc. I work full time so would prefer to meet up with people willing to spare a weekend night every now and again. I love people who don't take themselves too seriously, drink too much, like getting dressed up and enjoy a bit of harmless fun.

If you fancy a night out/drinks or even a couples gathering just send me a message

Posted

Hi everyone,

My names Lucy and I moved out here over a year ago with my boyfriend and dog from sunny England. Unfortunately so far, I haven't made the effort to meet new people but would love to find some like minded people to meet up with as I'm here for another 2 years.

I'm 26, love going out, drinking, eating, watching films, playing sport etc. I work full time so would prefer to meet up with people willing to spare a weekend night every now and again. I love people who don't take themselves too seriously, drink too much, like getting dressed up and enjoy a bit of harmless fun.

If you fancy a night out/drinks or even a couples gathering just send me a message

Posted

Hi Everyone.

I am Arun Nair. Recently moved to Munich. I have lived around the world, last 6 years in NJ. I am from India and 34 years old. Just got here so no friends, would love to make some new friends and go drinking :). After all this is the beer capital of the world .

Posted

Hello everyone!

I am a newcomer from Finland, 30 years old and came to Munich for a work. I like sports, music, cinemas, bars, coffee houses, you name it.

It would be great to see other members and make friends! :)

Best regards

Olavi

Posted

Hi,

Am Madhuri. I am from India, I will be landing in Munich on 3rd Feb,2014.

I am travelling on Job Seeker Visa.

I am from Information Technology background, Could you please help me with any consultancy services Information that would aid in Job search.?

I am also looking for new friends in Munich :-).

I love travelling and reading books

Please reach me out if you are interested in knowing me further.

Thanks,

Madhuri

Posted

Hello,

I am Madeleine.I just arrived in Munich and am looking for a new friends.I am a professional musician and composer so my interests are in the music area.But not modern "music" , I am talking about the real deal from the 60's, 70's, 80's.I also listen jazz (at the moment most of the time).I love jazz classics like Judy Garland, Ella Fitzgerald, Cole Porter's songs, etc.I am trying to introduce myself to German jazz from the 30's.Also I am interested in movies, specially black and white and photography (again black and white).I love all kinds of analog stuff and dream for a time machine.If you think I am not too weird , please message me so we can have a coffee or something...

Posted

Hey everybody! I am Franco and come from Peru. I´m 22 and will be staying in Munich until March. Would love to meet people to go for a walk, do some Tandem (German and Mandarin Chinese would be awesome), drink some coffee or go for a smoke (I rarely drink alcohol heavily, but tobacco is OK). Feel free to contact me!

Tschüss!

Posted

Hello!

My name is Chris and I'm from the U.S.!

I just got to Munich in October but am definitely looking to meet some new people. I'm doing chemistry/biology research at TUM. I'm 22 and enjoy sports (including rock climbing! The alps aren't too far away if anyone wants to set up a trip with me!), hiking, drinking, reading...and am always open to try new things.

Definitely feel free to message/comment if you want to meet up anytime! Hopefully see some of you soon!

*Also, I'm hoping to go to Cologne for the Karneval celebrations (Feb. 13-17th...ish), if anyone wanted a travel buddy. Let me know!

Chris

Posted

Hi guys,

I'm Heidi and I'm originally from the US. Been living in Munich for a few years now and recently came across this forum. I'm looking to make new friends after recently a few close friends have either moved back or to another city. I like bike riding, swimming, and other sports and going to beer gardens, of course.

I'll be checking the forum for upcoming events so hope to catch some of you there.

Posted

Hi, I'm Cami. I'm 19 years old and from the U.S; I just moved here, and have only been here about 2 weeks. I'm a bit outside Munich in the Grunwald area, but Munich is close enough. I'm an Au Pair and don't know anyone and haven't done much yet. Feel free to contact you if you'd like :).

Posted

Hi everyone.I'm Vasilis from Greece and i'm 24.i came in munich 20 days ago i really dont go out much..i speak Russian as well.looking forward to meeting up with everyone.

Posted

Hi everyone,

My name is Priscilla and I moved to Munich recently for my internship until July 3rd. I don't know people in Munich yet so it would be nice if there are some people interested in grabbing a cup of coffee or something like that.

I am 21 years old and I am studying international tourism management in the Netherlands, which is also my country of origin. I can speak Dutch, English and Indonesian fluently and advanced German. I do like to go out sometimes, but I also prefer meeting up in cafes and stuff. My hobbies are watching sports (soccer, motor sports), hanging out, go out for an activity like play pool or something like that. Feel free to contact me if you'd like, because I am open to any kind of stuff to meet new people in this lovely city!

Best regards! :)