Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Satellite TV via my apartment building's dish

48 posts in this topic

Posted

Our apartment building has a satelite and I was told by the landlord that I only needed a receiver. ok got it. Now I have a cazillion channels in all kinds of languages except english, well only news in english. Many of the channels are blocked and it seems that most of those have audio settings that can be changed to english. So, how do I unblock them?

It seems to have something to do with the Smartcard/Modul slot the receiver has. I have tried to research CI Modules but couldn't find an explanation for dummies - my German isn't that good yet.

Please help (I think the SAT is set on Astra 19.2)

P.S. How do I get the boobie channels off the program list? I can only take channels off of the favourites lists but not the main list. The parental control isn't blocking blocking the "call me" channels either. My son is having a ball :unsure:

Posted

19,2 is mostly full of free to air german stuff with a smattering of encrypted Premiere Channels (also in German). There are really only the news channels in English. You would need a dish pointed at 28,2°East to receive the english freeview channels.

The CI/CAM slot is for a CAM card. When you buy a receiver it is usually capable of decrypting as an example: Nagravision. The normal thin decryption card slot will only accept a Nagravision card. In order to allow your receiver to decrypt SECA (as used by the Dutch Canal-Digitaal for example) you need to buy a CAM module first which enables your receiver for SECA decyption, and then you slide your SECA encyption card into the CAM.

You can also get multicrypt CAMs to be able to use multiple types of encyption cards, but you will also need a programmer like the CAS 3 in order to burn new firmware onto the CAM itself.

Posted

The boobie channels will not be youth protected ie. no pin code because they are free to air . You may be able to lock those channels depending on the type of receiver you have. You may also be able to delete those channels. What type of digital reciever do you have (exact model) ? Maybe look in the user guide or get one on-line.

Posted

How do I get the boobie channels off the program list? I can only take channels off of the favourites lists but not the main list. The parental control isn't blocking blocking the "call me" channels either. My son is having a ball

Take a closer look! Is he having a "ball" or rather a "bat"?

But seriously: Ask your landlord if he allows to realign the dish. Then move it (or find a moving guy...) to the proper direction. Turn the dish's LNB a handwidth to the left. That is only as much as a clock's pointer moves in 5 minutes.

Hope you see what I'm trying to say. If maybe not just ask again...

Posted

Move dish or get a double LNB installed.

Posted

Our apartment building has a dish - Astra 19.2 E

I got a sat receiver and noticed that a lot of locked channels could be in english by changing the audio setting. I've figured out that I need to get a Module thingy for the receiver, but which one is my question?

My german is not so great but it seems the modules I could get is a SECA 2 which seems to unlock CanalSat or a Cryptoworks which unlocks UPCtv, both of which have many English Channels.

Is it possible to buy a module that would unlock both Canalsat and Upc?

Also, is there a monthly fee after I purchase a module?

Thanks!

Topics merged by admin

Posted

you will need a multicrypt CAM module like Dragon/TRex or Diablo. Posted a little about CAMs here:

Satellite TV via my apartment building's dish

You will of course need decyption cards (and therefore pay a subscription) for the channels themselves, but really you are not going to find much with english options on 19,2. Perhaps you could see if a second LNB could be fitted to the dish to get the freeview channels on Astra 2D - 28,2° East.

Posted

Hi,

After much research on cable TV packages here on TT, we picked up our keys for our new apartment and discovered that the building has an Astra Satellite. (yay!). We just need a Satellite receiver, now there are a lot of topics regarding this, but I decided to post here because it seemed the most relevant. Are there any updates for 2012 in regards to the best reciever(s) for FreeSat and German TV?

I may be totally confused but it seems that another thread mentioned Dreambox as the best for German the receiver, and possibly the Humax from FreeSat. Although these comments are not recent.

Please advise if you can.

Thanks in advance

Posted

Its more than Likely Astra19°east .. The Satellite cluster that primarilly transmits German Tv... ie, a few English Channels

Posted

Thanks for the fast reply.

Do you have any recommendations for Sat. receivers?

Posted

I would only spend 50-90€ on a cheapo sat receiver for now... then when you have decided what your viewing habits are, then buy a system that suits..

Posted

So.. here's a twist we have an American TV, my husband's want HD do you have recommendations for an NTSC receiver in that price range or should we invest in a higher price model?

Posted

u so rock! thx

Posted

I even supply and Fit satellite in the Stuttgart area too!

Posted

Hi all,

Recently i bought a TV (LG) with inbuilt SAT receiver and my apartment has a dish to receive the SAT signal. I can receive ASTRA 19.2/28.2 but my TV doesnt show any UK channels, mostly German, French channels.

My question is, do i need to buy a UK sat receiver to get the free UK channels or my inbuilt ones in the TV can rcv the free channels

best,

Siva

Posted

I can receive ASTRA 19.2/28.2

How do you know this? Do you have 2 LNB on your dish? Or do you have 2 dishes?

I would say you can access only 19.2 at the moment.

Posted

Hi Krieg,

My apartment has two dishes. When i search for channels on 28.2, i see like 200 channels found but none english

Best siva

Posted

My bet is that the dish is orientated to Astra19 and Hotbird 13° ( if indeed it does have 2 satellites)

Try a search for Hotbird... if you get about 20 Itallian channels and some other junk TV, then you arent going to get the UK stuff

Posted

200 channels is little for those 2 SATs, I have the same configuration and I get like 700 or 800 channels plus the music ones. However a bunch of those channels are encrypted.

Are you getting Food Network on 28.2? That one is open. The BBC ones are open as well.

Maybe you have to configure something with Diseqc in order to change from one dish to the other one.