Gas v. induction stovetops/ranges/hobs

85 posts in this topic

Posted

What kind of stove and oven do you have / want? I'm reading food forums and finding lots of people are very enthusiastic about induction and not so much about gas... and they say that people who want gas just have a fetish for licking flames. Hmmm. And they clearly haven't tried modern induction or even modern ceramic ranges. When our ceramic stove broke, the repair guy told us that it was 27 years old, so no wonder I thought it was difficult to regulate... I don't like not being able to see how hot it is, and gas will let me see that immediately, I loved using gas back at my old apartment, but I have gotten used to the easily-cleaned ceramic top. Cheap gas ranges tend to have stainless steel tops, so will be more difficult to clean.

Feel free to compare Siemens with Miele with gaggenau with Ikea and gorenje, we are all over the map pricewise.

I don't think I will char peppers that often. Or eggplants. Although if I had a gas stove, I might. Especially as you can't get them like that here in the stores. That's my dilemma. The wok is not that big a deal for me.

So anyway, gimme all your thoughts on gas and stovetops in general, but also if you know if there are real, substantial functional between cheap gas ranges and expensive ones or is it just design and ease of cleaning.

There's even this gas range from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/70123489 or this one: http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/00123483

And then this combination regular electric / induction one: http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/50123466 or all induction from Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/de/de/catalog/products/30147618

Oh and if anyone wants to have me over and demonstrate how great their cooktop is, I'm happy to oblige.

Posted

Gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas gas!

You'll never see a professional kitchen with anything but gas. It offers the most control and most even heating no matter how thick the bottom of the pot or pan is. I've cooked with electric, ceramic and induction and in comparison they all suck. And when I write "suck" I mean something that would get deleted by the mods inside 21 seconds of hitting the "Post" button.

woof.

Posted

Ah, both bd and BD within 30 minutes!

bd -- the question is in fact "gas v. induction". As in the title. :)

BD -- thanks! The food forums I'm reading are saying that professional kitchens do often now have induction... it sounds so easy! And a guy in a shop today said that half the US households have induction...

Posted

This isn't a close call, gas is the only way to go.

Posted

Any experience comparing the various gas ranges available then?

Posted

There's not a lot of differentiation. All are electro-start and efficient. The better ones have 1- or 2-piece flame spreaders and one-piece top design to make cleaning easier. There's really not much difference until you get to the larger-than-standard models which are 90cm and wider except for the stand-offs. Forget how sexy that thin wireform looks, the thicker and heavier, the better.

woof.

Posted

While I know (read/heard) that gas is the best for cooking, I really prefer what is in German 'Keramikkochfeld'. Never used an induction stovetop but I am sure that would be great too. My dislike of gas is mainly based on the fear of accidentally blowing up my apartment / myself (or a roomie leaving on the gas). We had a gas stovetop at our apartment in Spain, and now here we have one like this. Out of all, I prefer the one we have at home (my parents' house) (a Keramikkochfeld with a 'touch pad' thingy).

Posted

The Ikea ones taste better.

Posted

Trust me Mari, ' cooking with gas ' has not become the phrase to mean the best for nothing.

You get to control the temperature in real terms instead of having to anticipate and manipulate rings.

Posted

I am aware of that. I just don't like cooking with gas because I don't like potential danger it poses. So if I had a choice, I would never get a gas stove top.

Posted

So many cultural differences between Brits and Germans that i'd never realised despite being married to one previously.

Posted

The food forums I'm reading are saying that professional kitchens do often now have induction... it sounds so easy! And a guy in a shop today said that half the US households have induction...

Bullshit and bullshit. Half of "all new electric units sold in the US" perhaps, but even in areas without natural gas pipes (propane country) gas is preferred. The primary commercial use of induction is for woks and that's not so populyr because once the woks have been through the rigours of a few weeks of abuse, they no longer fit cleanly and heat unevenly.

If you want induction, fine. I don't. I want gas and next year I'm paying someone to come over and tap the gas from the boiler line to give me a useful stove.

Ovens are a different matter. Electric ovens are much more efficient and evenly heated than gas.

My dislike of gas is mainly based on the fear of accidentally blowing up my apartment

That's a wholly irrational fear.

woof.

Posted

Well, maybe that's because it's not a cultural difference but a personal preference, I doubt my opinion is representative of all of Germany.

BD, not that irrational (only a little), considering that one of my roomies in Spain told me a former roomie of her did leave the gas on once (but she smelled it and aired out the kitchen, so she didn't blow herself up :lol:). I realize the chances of it happening are pretty slim, but I still prefer the electric stove top (whichever).

Posted

>tap the gas from the boiler line -- yeah, that's exactly what we can do. Hopefully.

Yeah all fear of gas is irrelevant for my purposes, Mariposa. Lots of people are afraid of it though -- maybe how Germans also don't... oh wait, I do want this thread to stay on topic, don't I. :)

And you know, actually I'm thinking of getting a doublewide. Well wider than 60 cm anyhow, because as it turns out it doesn't have to match the width of the oven underneath if the counter is thick enough. Just learned that yesterday.

Posted

Gen, if you're not afraid of it, go with the gas one. I think my aunt has a gas stove at her house, it probably depends from person to person.

Posted

We have an induction stove. The first problem is you have to change almost all your pots and stuff. It does not sound that much at the begining but later you will realize how many things you have to buy new and for some of them you will not find replacements.

From the control, it took me a while but I got used to it.

Posted

Most professionals seem to have gas.

We've had most versions of cookers, now have induction. Some of my favourite pots and my steamers didn't work with it, but we were given a set of 3 saucepans and one frying pan with the cooker so that helped. Do like it, very fast, and never burns on so easy to clean, even in between when other cookers would be hot.

Posted

Free pots with set - didn't happen to be a Miele, did it? We're looking at one of their ovens which just makes hubby's mouth water. And he hardly even bakes.

Posted

GAS. real cooks use gas (stovetop).

I've had good results baking with both a gas stove and electric (w/ fan).

Posted

If you are going to get your fantasy kitchen, I would recommend our set-up: gas stove-top and 2 totally separate ovens at chest height, rather than under the counter.

Induction, yeah yeah, real nice. Buying 12hundred new pots and pans for it; not so nice.

Posted

We have Showem's set up back in CA... 5 gas burners, 2 separate electric convection ovens, all stainless. I miss it. :)

Posted

Only four of our pots wouldn't work on induction, and Ikea has a set for 50 Euros. That's not really a factor. Keep the comments coming, I'll check back next week...

Oh and apparently El Bulli uses induction: http://www.chow.com/stories/10440 and other sources... including, and this is apparently really him, Anthony Bourdain.

Posted

I wish I had a gas stove!