Ways to combat winter blues

123 posts in this topic

Posted

Yesterday when I walked down to the shops to get something to eat I suddenly realized that all the trees have lost their leaves. That, together with some incredibly grey and dense low clouds mad me feel very depressed. I do like autumn and I don't mind rain and fog and storm, but as soon as the huge grey clouds cover the sky nothing seems to happen anymore. It's just dead boring. I really wonder what can be done to avoid getting dragged down by the weather.

Posted

lots of nights in with red wine, blazing fires and candles.

could also buy one of those lamps

Posted

Take a 2 week holiday in Barbados at the Sandy Lane Hotel.

Next question?

p.s. I reckon those lamps are just a con.

Posted

Add loads of sex to the "nights in with red wine, blazing fires and candles" ;)

Posted

2 episodes of Prison Break & a nice bottle of wine bought at the Wine Messe last week ... Bring the snow on, I don't mind!! :D

Posted

Drink...alot.

Posted

Learn to ski or snowboard and enjoy all the "extras" that go with it!

Posted

A trip to the Therme Erding is always nice - sit in the sauna, take a dip in heated pools, have a cocktail at the swim-up bar. The only downfall is that loads of people have the same idea so it gets a little crowded.

*Edit - Ah, sorry I just noticed you're in Frankfurt. The Therme Erding only works for Munich people unless you're up for a road trip. Perhaps there's something similar in your area?

Posted

Easy, don't be so emo.

PS. Maybe you are too sensitive and special and stuff :ph34r:

Posted

A trip to the Therme Erding is always nice - sit in the sauna, take a dip in heated pools, have a cocktail at the swim-up bar. The only downfall is that loads of people have the same idea so it gets a little crowded.

These kinda things are there at some small towns/villages too. I went to one yesterday at a small town called 'Neuendettelsauf' (near Nuremberg), as I was f***ing bored, after weeks of travelling around in sunny places like Bangalore and Dubai. If you take a vacation to some sunny place for a couple of weeks and get back later, its even more depressing. But anyways, vacation is always good.

Posted

Spend hours in your kitchen making candy (fudge, peanut brittle, pralines), then crash out on the couch (or luxurious pillows on the floor) with a glass of wine and a plate of salt crackers because after sweating over a hot stove surrounded by sugar and chocolate fumes the last thing you want is a sweet snack. Read a good, thick book or watch episode after episode of your favorite series.

Posted

I love grey skies and darkness. It is the annoying sunshine of summer that gets me down.

Posted

I am with you there.

I might just add, " a lot of rain on the window sill, turns me on!".

Posted

If you can't beat the blues, join em. Excellent conditions for listening to sad songs…here’s a few to enhance that melancholy:

Chet Baker & Gerry Mulligan’s rendition of ‘Moonlight in Vermont’

Natalie Merchant’s ‘Frozen Charlotte’

Jeff Buckley 'Hallelujah'

Most songs by the Cranberries

Eagles ‘I Can’t Tell You Why’

Emmylou Harris & Gram Parsons ‘ Love Hurts’

Iron & Wine ‘Naked as We Came’

Flight of the Conchords ‘Business Time’ (intermission music)

Miles Davis or Janis Joplin ‘Summertime’

Radiohead 'No Surprises' or ‘Nude’

Bruce Springsteen 'The River'

Al Green, Sam Cooke, Billie Holiday, Patsy Cline

So many sad songs and not enough sad weather days (unless you live in Dresden) :(

Posted

Thanks everyone, your comments are very much appreciated.

I am a bit jealous of you guys in Munich. You have the best parties, and you seem to get some snow in Winter.

Posted

maybe this is a bit quakerish, but why not try learn something? if you're doing things and have a purpose to your life the weather doesnt really interfere

Posted

We have a winter garden, south facing 40 Sq meters with a small wood oven ,the winter can come :D

Posted

Take some cod liver oil. Experts say the extra Vitamin D helps combat seasonal affect disorder.

I've been taking it myself, and I put its efficacy down to helping you realize there's something worse than lack of sunshine!

Posted

My mother periodically made us take cod liver oil as kids - blech. But speaking of the vitamin D... since milk here isn't fortified with it, and I can't always get my kid to eat salmon like he used to, should I be trying to force cod liver oil down his throat, too? I'd feel like Mommie Dearest. Is there some other way? Deutsche Flintstein Vitamins?? :P

Posted

Vitamin D has been much in the news here of late. Specifically, the lack of it in children's diets and the possible effects of deficiency:

. . today the American Academy of Pediatrics is set to announce it is doubling the amount of vitamin D it recommends for infants, children, and adolescents to 400 IU a day, beginning in the first few days of life.

"I don't know of another vitamin that has effects on multiple tissues like vitamin D," said vitamin D researcher Dr. Catherine Gordon, director of the bone health program at Children's Hospital Boston. "As pediatricians, we're still doing research on health outcomes, (and) the relation between vitamin D deficiency during childhood or adolescence and outcomes later in life like osteoporosis, cancer risk, and risk of developing multiple sclerosis. But there are compelling data in adults suggesting an association."

If you have concerns, you might want to speak with your pediatrician. All infants and toddlers in Germany (to age 2? 3?) are prescribed Vitamin D (we got dissolvable tablets.) Much easier to give than cod liver oil!

Posted

Yeah, we were just at the pediatrician, and that was on my list, but he had so many other things that he was checking for that I got flustered/ overwhelmed and forgot.

I guess I'll just go to the Apoteke and see if I can get a kid's multi-vitamin.

Posted

Enjoy nourishing, warm Winter meals, like soups and stews. Warm food always makes me happier. The time you take cooking it will pass the time in a wonderful way.

Also, recognize the season for what it is...a time to slow down. Try not to expect so much of yourself, even as you have all the things you need to do in your life.

Buy a lovely warm sweater or coat that makes you feel beautiful when you wear it.

As for not finding much to do, maybe it's time to join/start a reading group, sewing group, or whatever your thing is.

Posted

i'm not trying to be rude or overbearing, but if you concentrate on you and your life, and (try) do something with it, the weather won't bother you at all ... and from my perspective the only time to slow down is when you're tired, there is surely too much life and too little time on the planet to waste..