Bonfire Night / Guy Fawkes Day in Germany

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Just wondering if anyone celebrates Bonfire night in Germany. My hubby will have sparkles at least.

Posted

I recall a few years ago a Bavarian edition of Bild Zeitung ran a rather critical feature about Bonfire Night in UK, mentioning the big Lewes Guy Fawkes celebrations. I remember the headline of the piece was something like "It shows just how much die Englaender hate us Catholics", with their burning effigies of Catholic Guy Fawkes. I told one German colleague how some bonfire parties traditionally also burnt effigies of the Pope and he was shocked.

Posted

I celebrated bonfire night on Halloween, as we do in Ireland. However, as it was just me, and I didn't want to be arrested, I celebrated by thinking about it moodily over a beer.

I also miss the sparklers.

Posted

I miss bonfire night! Used to go up to the local park (in the mud of course) and watch the bonfire and fireworks eating toffee apples and parkin.

It gets overshadowed more and more by Halloween and this year the biggest shadow will be cast by the US elections...*sighs*

Posted

I know GFN is a tradition, and I'm all for bonfires. Still, doesn't it smack you as a vestige of intolerance? We have an argument in the South about whether the old Southern flag can be displayed, or whether it is a sign of intolerance toward black people. Then there are the Indian (Native American) school mascots that are disappearing.

I can see why the Germans would feel shocked. Ask yourself if you'd worry about Catholic feelings in the same way you'd think about Jewish or Muslim feelings?

Devil's Advocate there. Bonfires are cool, and I like tradition...I'd just really want my Catholic friends and neighbors to understand that it's equivalent to Halloween not being associated with Paganism.

Posted

every year the German English Association has a well attended Guy Fawkes night out in Mariabrunn. it's lots of fun!

a lot of people are not aware of this tradition's 'barbaric' origin, it's more a friendly & fun get-together I'd say.

I'm looking forward to the parkin *drool*

Posted

I'd just really want my Catholic friends and neighbors to understand that it's equivalent to Halloween not being associated with Paganism.

I can't think of anybody who celebrates Guy Fawkes as an anti-catholic event. Maybe in 1605 the protestants celebrated the fact that the catholic plot failed, but now it's just an excuse for a bonfire, fireworks, hot chocolate and parkin.

Posted

Just wondering about this as I expected google.uk to have a Guy or something today, but nothing, so does anyone really think about it when they are outside of the UK or should I say England? If you do celebrate, do you celebrate the fact that they failed or that they tried!

Remember, remember the Fifth of November, The Gunpowder Treason and Plot, I can think of no reason Why the Gunpowder Treason Should ever be forgot

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Remember, remember the Fifth of November

I'd forgotten actually. I remembered last week and looked up when the GEA bonfire was but completely forgot this morning.

Posted

Well, if anything it shows that poeple will use any excuse for a celebration!

Like some things that belong to nations tradition, in some countries, it has become unfashionable to celebrate.

Posted

Killing royalty is always an admirable goal.

Nahh. Royals are people too. And killing people is wrong.

Posted

Royals became royals by killing more people than anyone else. Regicide should be a sacrament.

woof.

Posted

Royals became royals by killing more people than anyone else

in the name of religion.

Posted

It'd be nice, but where would you get the fireworks here? They only seem to be available for News Years Eve.

And then there's the small matter of official permission and whether Bavarian (and other) officals would be that sympathetic etc. etc. etc.

The bastards would probably invent all kinds of superficially reasonable reasons why it couldn't be done, quite apart from the fact that they wouldn't like so they'd be agin it from the start as a matter of principle. You get the idea...

Maybe us Brits and Commonwealthers ought to get together and jump up and down a bit in support of Guy Fawkes night in Germany. Hell, we could even present it as an English "Volksfest".

Posted

Well, celebrating attempts to blow up houses in London wasn't always unpopular in Germany.

Posted

Alittlegreen!!! I came to germany partly to get away from all that english type crap! For heavens sake, enjoy germany - not england at a distance!

Posted

I miss bonfire night!

Germany has its own bonfire occasions.

The night between 23 and 24 of June "Johannisnacht" for example.

In bavaria we have the "Martinifeuer". Here in Freising we will have a "Martinszug" (mostly children with lanterns and their parents following a man on a horse (supposed to be saint martin) that ends with a bonfire up on the "Domberg" on Nov. 9th. Same will probably happen in most bavarian towns (in the catholic areas at least).

Posted

Hey, whats the crack on buying fireworks for Guy Fawkes!?!? is it illegal to buy them and set them off!?! or do you need a special licence1??

Neil

Posted

there is always a small parade led by a bag piper that wanders through my quiet neighborhood, kids with lanterns. maybe this year I will join in and see where they end up.

Posted

I miss bonfire night sooo much. It was my favourite fest as a kid, next to xmas. Something about this time of year where it gets dark early and it's really cold and even in the run up to halloween you can smell smoke and fireworks in the air, it was always kind of misty which added to the spookiness of the time of year. Then you'd have the fun of trick or treating and going round asking for a 'penny for the guy' and then the sheer wonderfullness of going to the local bonfire and eating toffee apples and watching fireworks with friends and family. It just always felt kind of magical to me for some reason and I really miss it *sigh* God what I wouldn't give for a toffee apple..

Posted

You've made me all wistful now... A couple of years ago I was landing at Heathrow on the evening of Nov. 5th - it was the most amazing sight, seeing the fireworks all over London from above. Truly breathtaking.