Men's business suits - recommended shops

69 posts in this topic

Posted

I need to buy a really serious business suit for some upcoming work-related events. I'm wondering if anybody can suggest places to go for very good business suits. Can anybody relate any Munich suit-buying experiences - either good or bad? Tips?

I know that Hirmer has lots of good suits. Anyplace else?

*waits for wisdom to flow*

post-16-1091095863.jpg

Posted

Kaufhof have a good range of no names and designers and price wise, very competative.

Posted

L.Beck are way overpriced, avoid it like the plague unless your buying Origins body cream or l'Occitane soap mmm.

Posted

You want to make a good impression, then Armani wins every time. Classic suits with Italian flair. Armani is THE place to buy suits if you're going for off the peg. Otherwise check out some places back on Savile Row in London. Timeless class...

Posted

There's an Italian outlet shopping thing in Florence if you fancy a day out.

Kaufhof have Hugo Boss and a few others but if you want Armani (here's where I have a problem), stand in front of the Rathouse, and that street on the left ( nice cake shop on the left and the Lacoste shop on the right). Anyway, keep walking down and you'll find all the expensive shops including Armani.

One of the educated TT's will give you the correct street names.

Posted

Can't remember the name, but walk North from Marienplatz toward Odeonsplatz (past funf hoefe) and there's Armani, as well as D&G and Versace. There's also a Burberry, but for that money you might as well wear Armani and look good...

Trust me, an Armani suit will always look good...(the Royal Academy on Piccadilly in London currently has an exhibition of Armani cool on - the first time a fashion designer has got an RA exhibtion I believe).

Posted

You want to look smart, not pose like a haddy.

If it's a poser suit you want then go for Armani but if it's for work and you may end up in smokey atmospheres and sitting all day at meetings so think about it, even Armani will have more wrinkles than a prune at the end of the day!

Posted

Yeah, Armani is poseur, but it will fit better. A suit is an essential item of clothing, but unlike t-shirts and the like, it's best not to cut corners. Sure, it'll end up getting knackered...that's a risk you have to take.

Boss are real nice too, and though I don't know for sure, I guess they're cheaper over here???

Posted

Loden Frey. Just over the road from Bayerischer Hof.

The works.

Posted

Hiya,

Herr Indoors gets his in Hirmer - the staff are a bit over-enthusiastic as they are on commission but he's never had a bad one out of there (mostly Boss - their cut suits him, Armani doesn't) and the alterations service is good and quick.

Konen has nice things (esp. shirts and ties) but non-existent sales staff :(

Always check the sales racks in Mey & Eldrich (sp?) nr. 5 Höfe and Loden-Frey as they often mark stuff down massively.

BTW the dedicated Armani shop (including Armani choccies - a perfect Christmas gift for label junkies) opens in November in the 5 Höfe.

For women's suits, I would say that a flight to the UK is in order - there just isn't the market for them in Germany so I buy a job lot in the UK twice a year and get my alterations woman (the little shop near Rotkreuzplatz near MacDonald's - she used to do the alterations for Kaufhof and does good work cheaply and quickly) to finish them off for me.

Katrina

Posted

armani quality is abysmal and the cut is "trendy" so you need to buy new suits every 2 years or so

if you want a timeless classic and have the time to spare, go to London and buy from aquascutum on regent st. you may actually find it cheaper to fly to London to buy there than to go to the armani shop in munich and aquascutum suits are absolutely fantastic (count about £ 400)

Posted

I would go over the road to Austin Reed as well if ur gonna go to Regent Street. But i would still buy an Armani...

Posted

Jimbo, according to my Oxford dictionary(new edition) both spellings are correct. However, the main point being, that you understand what is written and you did. I type very slowly therefore, I pay little attention to spelling or grammar, I also throw punctuation in like confetti as an after thought. Does this make me a bad person? Who gives a monkey's anyway?

Back to the plot, unless the guy looking for the suit makes a comment, I think we should end the discussion as everyone else obviously knows where to buy one.

Then again, you could always give him one of yours Jimbo, and save him some money. :P

Posted

I don't know what planet you're on chaps. I'M with Jordigo here. Buy your suits in the UK. Doesn't have to be a major name, however. Any old shop on the high street. And I wouldn't pay more that 150 quid cos its going to go out of fashion in two years anyway. I've chucked so many suits away...

Anyone buying Armani, boss etc must really have more money than sense, especially if you're english - you should know your suits. I even had to wear a suit at school (no, it wasn't fee-paying).

Can't comment much on Aquascutum. My dads got some jacket made by them: still looks new after 20 years... nice timeless style.

Those with armani suits are probably the ones that don't have to wear them every day??? Am I right?

Posted

Wow, thanks for the tips! I was out all day trying suits. The place I ran to first, of course, was Hirmer. The suit I liked most didn't have anything in my size, so the salesman tried to slap me into the same model but with a slightly different size. He kept insisting that it suited me perfectly, though the hang was completely different -- even to me. Fortunately I knew that with suits, if you don't get something you like, you essentially throw your money away so I decided to wait. The next stores all told me there was no way I could carry the suit size that the guy at Hirmer had been trying to push. I wound up very happy not to have shelled out the megabucks earlier on. The guy at Hirmer was just trying to close a sale. *hrmph!* Not with my money, bucko!

More news in the saga as it happens.

*pinky up*

Posted

I also learned something today. For anyone doing serious shopping in Munich, I would definitely suggest hitting the stores at opnening time on a weekday. I noticed that I got much more attention from the sales staff when there were no other customers around.

Once 13:00 rolled by, the stores filled up and the salespeople had to run around like headless chickens on crack. I could still get advice, but salespeople were moving so fast that their voices had serious doppler effects to them.

Posted

As for Armani suits -- I think they look nice to lounge around in, but I'm more interested in something for business.

Business interviews, to be exact.

This is what I'm considering. Would you people give me a job in this? :lol:

post-1-1067965487.jpg

Posted

I've heard they're doing a remake of "The Mask". You'd be a shoe-in in that getup.

Posted

sure! as a pimp, a clown, or a ringmaster...

But too bad, TT already has a pimp...