Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

DHL package delivery times from Germany to U.S.

28 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a 2 kg parcel to send to the USA.

On the Deutsche Post/ DHL website, it says it will cost 12.90€ on "DHL Päckchen International" (it's their cheapest option): DHL site

...but there is no mention of delivery times. How long do you think it will take for this packet to get from Germany to the States?

And how much faster would it be by if I was to choose "Premium", which doubles the price?

A big THANK-YOU in advance for your input!! :)

Posted

A French person in Belgium using a website for English-speaking people in Germany to find information on sending a package to the US. At least the package seems to be in the right place at the moment.

Posted

http://www.dhl.de//mlm.nf/dhl/images/image...n_en_070815.pdf

from the DHL site you linked!

why oh why am I doing this?

So it's 10-12 days. Thanks!... Sorry I somehow missed the info on their site.

A French person in Belgium using a website for English-speaking people in Germany to find information on sending a package to the US. At least the package seems to be in the right place at the moment.

Yep I'm French & currently living in Belgium... but often crossing the border to Germany...

Posted

Is it really just 10-12 days? Coz that link shows 'DHL Paket International' and it's differ from 'DHL Paeckhen International'. The lady over the counter told me it takes 4 weeks but I am not sure, if I heard the right thing, consider my Deutsch isn't gut.

Posted

Wow @ "10-12 days."

I sent a package to my parents from Germany to California and I think it took between 6-8 days.

When they send a package to me, it takes 6 days every time. No express pay or anything.

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I had an extended stay in Germany (Heidelberg) for 2 months. During that time I sent 2 packages home (couldn't resist the shopping LOL). One shipped on 10/9 and the other on 10/20. It's now 11/8 - but not sure if I should have received the packages yet.

I read in other threads that it can take 4-10 weeks. If so - that's fine, but cannot get any confirmation on this and DHL packet (Deutsche Post) has not responded yet (only been 2 days) to my question on their website.

Both were approx 7kg - sent from Heidelberg to United States - and again the first one was sent 10/9.

DHL Packet tracking says they were assigned a USPS (United States Postal Service) tracking number - but USPS says the packages have not been received by them yet.

Any information anyone can provide would be appreciated.

BTW - LOVED the stay in Germany. It was my first extended stay. I was in the Rohrbach area and it really helped me understand the life my colleagues live in Germany. It's a WONDERFUL country and can't wait to visit again on my next business trip.

Posted

I send packages to the USA all the time. During the past 6 months there has been an increase in the delay especially for the bigger packages.

Last 2 I sent took 6 and 7 weeks. The place were the most delay happens is the US Sorting facility , that's when it reaches the Us shore and that's why it

doesn't appear in the tracking site.

From the moment you see an update like : Processed through the sorting facility in NJ (for. ex) then it will take a couple

of working days and it will reach the destination.

Cheers,

Alex

Posted

Thanks Alex! Appreciate the quick response. I'll wait for awhile and check the status on the site again in a couple of weeks.

Vicki

Posted

My husband shipped a small box back to the states a week and a half ago. Can anyone tell me how long it will take to get there? We shipped it through the regular German Post and it was their smallest box they had available.

Thanks

Posted

USPS considers 45 days to be normal range for an international package. That said I have never had them take that long but with the holidays it sure wont be snappy. A few weeks at least if not more during the holidays.

Posted

I have found shipping to US quicker than from US to here. Packages and mail seem to arrive there in less than 2 weeks...from my experience.

Posted

Thanks Acechaser,

I was starting to get worried about our package arriving around Christmas. I knew it would be late but I was hoping it wouldn't arrive too late.

Posted

Some substances are legal over here but illegal overseas (and vice versa). Taxes are also an issue.

There is a chance that packages get stuck at customs around christmas time, or even worse, choosen to be openend and checked.

Those parcel services cannot really predict how long it takes, as customs is out of their control.

Merry Christmas

Franklan

Posted

Personal packages from the DC area to Berlin take an inordinate amount of time to arrive here, and not just around the holiday season. On average, when our friends or family from that area send any sort of package, it takes 2 weeks minimum and usually a few days longer. In contrast, family in Spain sends us the same kinds of items/packages and they arrive within a week.

Must be a customs issue or something.

Posted

This is about 'from Germany to US', which usually takes less time than the other way around. :)

Posted

Yes, I know, but sometimes people do searches for the reverse that would turn up a thread such as this.

Merry Christmas to you, too.

Posted

I just shipped a small box with 40 cards in it. I hope that it wouldn't be held up in customs.

Posted

The packages that I sent on 5 December arrived in California on 21 December - that's pretty darn fast, considering the Christmas rush.

Posted

My father in law just sent me a message and said that the box arrived today. So it took less than 2 weeks; not too bad.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Posted

I need to send a package to the USA as fast as possible (within 3-5 days would be best)

What is the fastest and cheapest way to do this?

I've tried looking at the DHL, UPS and Deutsch Post websites but cannot find any good information.

If anyone knows a good method, I would appreciate it.

Posted

google Fed Ex Berlin.

Posted

I tried that, it couldn't give me an accurate shipping time or cost... :/

Posted

According to the information on the DHL website, the avarage shipping time for a normal parcel is 10 to 12 days, with "premium" option about 6 days. With DHL Express the avarage shipping time is supposed to be 2 days, and 1 day for shipping to New York City, but this quickly gets very expensive.

Prices vary depending on weight and/or size.