Help me identify this mysterious caterpillar

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, I found a funny little caterpillar walking around in Bargteheide today. Its about 25 cm long, has an orange bum and then turquoise and then orange and then a black head again. oh and black spots everywhere. Ive never seen such a cool caterpillar. and it eats like crazy!! I have him in a jar for the kids ;) and would like to know if hes harmful!!!

Thanks

Posted

correction. 2.5 cm long!! :)

Posted

It would be even more helpful if you post a picture of it..

Posted

NickyNZ - where do you live? Jurassic Park? 25cm is 9.8425197 inches.

Posted

Most caterpillars are very specific about what type of plants they eat... find out and provide it, or your kids might be sad when it kicks the bucket! Probably whatever you found it on, is what it likes to eat.

Posted

I would post a picture, but my computers still having issues with my camera. I asked the kids in my neighbourhood, and they dont know what it is either! ... yeah I better go find that plant. The kids just chucked everything in the container! /I stopped them as they were holding the hose over the poor thing!

Thanks for your help so far!

Posted

Those kids are bullies.

Posted

Im still curious about the caterpillar.. his name is Grissley. - given by the kids and hes really fat today! I finally found him the right food and hes munching away. Ok I made a deal with the computer and so its letting me put photos on...

post-32306-1221858204_thumb.jpg

Posted

Can anyone identify this little bugger? It's actually huge...kinda like a banana slug. And those eyes!! :blink:

Never seen anything like this!

post-92903-13530782665767.jpg

Posted

I can ask around, but it would help to know where you found it in Germany, what type of surroundings (park, city pavement, forest, whatever) and what type of vegetation it was on.

Posted

post-92903-13530797017507_thumb.jpg

Here's sort of other angle.

Well I found it in New Delhi...actually! :D

Strange enough it was bang in the middle of a parking lot, around all those cars...how did it get there is even more mysterious for me! Probably fell down from a tree or something. I'm a bit worried that by now it must have got crushed by one of those autos!

Posted

Possibly a Daphnis nerii caterpillar. The caterpillar is green in most pictures I found, but it seems they go through some color changes. The moth is quite impressive.

Posted

Looks like something from Dune? If the ground starts shaking run as his daddy is nearby.

Posted

Possibly a Daphnis nerii caterpillar. The caterpillar is green in most pictures I found, but it seems they go through some color changes. The moth is quite impressive.

Oh yes, I think we have our moth! :)

Description:

The caterpillars feed mainly on oleander (Nerium oleander) leaves, a highly toxic plant to which toxicity they are immune. They also may feed on most plants of the Apocynaceae family, such as Adenium obesum, and Tabernaemontana divaricata and Alstonia scholaris in India.

post-92903-13531631098985.jpg

He's adorable! I looked for it today in the parkplatz, it was nowhere to be seen. I hope he found his way out to the trees & bushes.