Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Programmer and IT staff salaries in Berlin

62 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All,

I've searched through the forums and haven't found the answer to my question, so hopefully someone can help me out.

For the project/program managers out there: What's the average salary for IT project managers in Berlin? (10 years experience). I've read (and seen) that the cost of living is quite low in Berlin, but I'm trying to gather salary info for comparison purposes. Thanks in advance.

Also, I'm presuming that wages in Berlin would differ than say Munich or Frankfurt where it's much more expensive. If that's not the case, please let me know. Thanks!

Posted

hey, I have been asked to give my salary expectations for a position in Berlin. I've heard that salaries in Berlin can be lower than elsewhere in Germany. I'm also aware that the tax burden is higher than Ireland. If I was going for the job in Ireland I would say my expectations would be between €45,000 and €50,000. The position is in software development. I have 5 years experience developing software and applications spread between academic research (doctorate) and corporate projects. The position in Berlin is for a C++ application developer, the spec didn't outline a minimum experience level although it is not entry level. What would be a reasonable range for Berlin?

Posted

I'ld dock you 5k instantly for not providing enough details.

Posted

Have you found any info on what the position might "generally" pay for germany? I'd almost think about it like "The London Allowance", but instead you subtract a bit.

I'd be interested because at some point I'm also going to be working in software dev.

Posted

Wages aren't as high as in ireland but neither are the prices

Try renting a room in Dublin for 150€ a month or going into temple bar and paying 2.50€ or less for a beer

Everything is about 1/2 the price it is in Dublin or ireland

remember this is the country of Aldi and Lidl

Did you read the Evening Heralds article on life in berlin

A quote from it said "if you have a to work a full time job you have failed"

In relation to getting a job here I would be more concerned about what your level of german is

Posted

While things are cheaper in Berlin, I wouldn't say everything is half price (I've lived in Berlin since February and lived in Ireland all my life previously).

One thing to remember is that Ireland has the 4th lowest tax rate in the EU. A single childless person on 50,000 Euro a year in Ireland will take home approximately 37,858.16 Euro net a year.

A single childless person in Germany who declares no religion and picks the cheapest compulsory health insurance option (10% I think?) will take home approximately 28,960.08 Euro net a year. (however if you earn more than 47,250 Euro a year in Germany you can also opt for private health insurance which can have cheaper yearly subscriptions, for ease of calculation I'm using the compulsory health rate which is cheating a bit)

This also includes paying "Obligatory Pension Insurance" of about 4,975 Euro a year (9.95% of your salary).

If you pretend in Ireland you were also putting the same % into a pension and you also bought a private level 1 health care plan with the VHI (667.71 Euro a year) then you would be taking home 34,554.41 Euro net a year which is 5,594 net more than you'd be earning in Germany.

So while things are cheaper, you'll be getting less money into your pocket. Is it 5,600 Euro cheaper a year to live in Berlin than it is to live in Dublin? In my opinion not quite, but almost. The quality of life in Berlin is a lot better than Dublin though so I'd recommend moving over. All the above figures are not 100% accurate but I'd say would be 90% as I had to work this out for myself when moving over at the start of the year and checking what I'm earning now compared to what I was in Dublin it looks right. I've used http://www.hookhead.com/Tools/tax2008.jsp for the Irish tax calculations and http://www.parmentier.de/steuer/steuer.htm?wagetax.htm for the German tax calculations.

Posted

Thanks SplitRadix and others. That's really helpful!

Posted

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi,

Any advice on the going rate for web developer/designer salary in Berlin? (especially how that fits with the current market).

I've +8 years experience: XHTML, CSS, JS, some PHP + the usual photoshop, Flash, video etc

Posted

...ps - (on a tangent of my post but...) - why do a lot (most?) German job ads say "m/w" ?

- They're saying applicants could be either male or female right?

Surely that's a bit redundant in this day and age of anti-discrimination in the workplace!

Posted

Any advice on the going rate for web developer/designer salary in Berlin? (especially how that fits with the current market).

I've +8 years experience: XHTML, CSS, JS, some PHP + the usual photoshop, Flash, video etc

Hi Unc, from what I've seen advertised on the job sites, you'd be looking at anything from 30,000 up to 50,000 (extreme luck!). How's your German? Fluency is a requirement for most non-international companies in Berlin.

...ps - (on a tangent of my post but...) - why do a lot (most?) German job ads say "m/w" ?

- They're saying applicants could be either male or female right?

That's because with the German language being so annoying ( ;) ), the job title will usually be neuter/male.

i.e. a programmer in German is Entwickler, but a female programmer would be Entwicklerin. Therefore the advert needs to clarify that the job is open to all sexes.

Posted

germany takes a while to catch up on social conventions. but m/w means exactly that, man/woman.

Posted

@kludgie and @horseshoe7 Thanks for clearing that m/w up. Of course makes sense (well as much sense as German genders)

Posted

Hi,

I am a Software Engineer with about 2 years of experience (1.5 to be exact). I am currently interviewing for a Software Engineering position in Berlin, and I have been asked about my salary expectations. I have looked at Payscale.com and it says the average salary is around ~38,000 Euros a year (http://www.payscale.com/research/DE/Industry=Software_Development/Salary/by_Years_Experience).

I won't rely on it completely though, since I am not sure the respondents on the site would be a representative sample, not to mention the figures are supposedly for Germany as a whole, and as far as I could tell, salaries vary widely between cities.

Is the figure here really representative of the job market? If yes, does it represent a gross income (with taxes, insurance ... etc.), or is it net? Would that be a good salary to make a good living in Berlin- bearing in mind I am single with no children? If no, what would be a good figure? And would specific technical skills make much of a difference?

I don't want to set an expectation too low to be a cheap bargain, and in the same time I don't want to come off as greedy. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Posted

You might ask the employer what the salary range is for the position. They are aware of your skillset and experience, but you could explain you are unfamiliar with wages and cost of living in Berlin. Not sure about German companies, but the U.S. companies I've worked for shared this information with me...saved time, set expectations.

Posted

At this stage I am dealing with a recruitment agency - which happens not to be in Germany - rather than directly with the employer. They are supposed to forward my information to the employer which includes among other things my salary expectations. So I guess I would not be able to take a reliable estimate of the salary figure just from them.

Anyways, I did inform them that I am unfamiliar with the wages and living costs in Berlin, but they still need these information from me. So my question still stands, what'd be the salary ranges for such a position in Berlin?

It'd also be great if someone knows the different wages according to technical skills. At least where I come from, salaries can differ greatly according to the specific skill set and I don't know if that's also the case in Germany.

Posted

Hi Mgamel,

as you probably know, salary depends on your skills and how rare or popular they are. For example SAP programmers are paid a premium while RPG programmers are going out of fashion and would be paid less. As you are starting out, I guess you have popular, up to date skills.

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

The above website gives averaged salaries for permanent/contract work for programmers/designers/testers in UK. I think salaries will be higher in UK than in Germany, and the figures quoted are in UK pounds, so you would need to convert the figures.

Check the salary for C++ Developer, then try to find a few ads quoting salary for a C++ developer in Germany and check the % difference, then apply it to your skill set. Very rough, I know.

My feeling would be better to aim high than low. If they think you are the right person for the job, they'll still offer it to you at the lower salary. If they challenge you on high salary expectation, then you can mention you are not familiar with salary ranges in Germany.

See also -

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46051&st=180

Posted

To the last few posts above from earlier this year... m/w generally means middleweight not man/women.

This means you should really have at least 4 years experience in the field but not a senior.

Posted

Hmm, 38k (which would be annual/gross and as a single childless male of 26-60 would leave you about 1850-1900 euri a month net) sounds like it'd be on the low end of things. That is, if you have a related education and some experience. I started on 2 grand more as a Java programmer without professional experience. Ok, I have other strings to my bow, but everybody can code Java...