Giving birth in Hamburg, advice for pregnant women

32 posts in this topic

Posted

I am hoping that I can get some good advice from mothers out there who have given birth in Hamburg and have up-to-date information on the hospitals, birth centres (if they have these) and antenatal classes. I am in my 2nd trimester and will start looking soon for places to prepare myself and have my first child, here in Germany. I would like to find a English speaking antenatal class or at least a English-speaking midwife, but have no idea where to start. I live near Altona, but have been given mixed opinions on having a baby at Altona's hospital, one opinion came from my Frauenarzt, I was wondering whether others have experienced this hospital or others and can give me advice - I am looking for somewhere which provides pain relief without having to fight for it.

Also is it true that with a normal birth, with no problems, mothers are required to stay 7 days in hospital after the birth?

Any help or information would be very kind.

Many thanks

Danielle

Posted

Sorry, no experience with giving birth, but I go to a very good gynaecological practice, they have two female doctors, one of them speeks English quite well, the other broken, and they have at least one English speaking midwife, and afaik they also offer English antenatal classes.

The practice is in Altona:

Praxisgemeinschaft Alsenstraße - the midwifes

They also offer acupuncture, hatha-yoga, etc.

I think there was also an expat midwife here on TT, she posted a few times, try the search function, not sure if she's still in Hamburg.

Posted

Also is it true that with a normal birth, with no problems, mothers are required to stay 7 days in hospital after the birth?

My wife had room mates that had a regular birth and they were out in 24hrs mostly (doctors suggested 2-3days). Cesarean I would guess comes more close to the stated 7 days.

AK Barmbek is a spanking new hospital with very competent folks.

Posted

Sorry, no experience with giving birth, but I go to a very good gynaecological practice, they have two female doctors, one of them speeks English quite well, the other broken, and they have at least one English speaking midwife, and afaik they also offer English antenatal classes.

The practice is in Altona:

Praxisgemeinschaft Alsenstraße - the midwifes

They also offer acupuncture, hatha-yoga, etc.

Thanks Hammonia,

I am very happy with my present gynaecologist in Ottensen, he speaks good enough English. I shall ask again at my next visit if they have a English-speaking midwife, but I have a feeling this will not be the case.

Posted

Hi Danielle

I just moved to Hamburg two weeks ago and am in my 22nd week. I live on the border of Altona and Ottensen and am looking for basically everything you are looking for as well! So far I've found a pregnancy yoga class in Ottensen (Geburthaus Hamburg, Am Felde 2). They have walk-in classes on Mondays 17.30 - 19.00 and Fridays 10 - 11.30. I have yet to go but when I do I can report back. I also have a prenatal check up tomorrow at the Praxisgemeinschaft Alsenstr and can let you know about the facilities there as well. And if you can recommend a good hospital that would make me SO happy.

Let's swap info as we find out more!

Angela

Posted

Hi Angela,

I would be very interested in meeting up with you soon. Can you send me a private message and i will send you my contact details.

Kind regards

Danielle

Posted

Hi,

I gave birth to my son last year here. I found the level of care compared to New Zealand very bad, but I had a good birth and was out withen a few hours. If you want to ask any questions or have a chat about stuff let me know I'd be happy to help. i know how had it is to sort everything out when your away from home!

Posted

Hi, I've had two babies here in Hamburg, one at the UKE and one at the Elim hospital. Both were c-sections and the care was excellent at both hospitals. I only changed hospitals for number two because I found two "beleg-hebammen" who took care of me pre- and post-natally and one of whom was present for the birth. They both speak English and work at the Elim hospital. I would strongly recommend them. With a natural birth you certainly don't have to stay in for seven days - some of my friends went home on the same day or the day after. I have quite a few friends who have had babies here too and am a member of an English-speaking playgroup for babies and toddlers. If I can help at all please let me know. I also have a fantastic, English speaking (male) ob-gyn in Winterhude. Any questions, just let me know :) .

Posted

Hi rosekav and lalleylou, I have sent you private messages to your profile. Looking forward to meeting you.

Danielle

Posted

Hi there,

First of all, I can thoroughly recommend the preganancy Yoga at the Geburtshaus in Altona. Did it for more than 6 monhs of my pregnancy.

The Geburtshaus is a natural birth center where you can also have your baby with all the "alternative" pain relief there is (acupuncture etc.) but no drugs. Some of the midwives speak English and the also have "open consultation hours" with no appointment.

Just in case you change your mid about your gyn, Dr Hojabri in the mall next to Altona station spent many years in America, I think his wife's American too and he is constantly keeping up with the newest research - very competent and all the helpers are the sweetest in the world.

Well, after a 30 hour marathon in the Geburtshaus I ended up in Altona Hospital where I didn't have to beg for drugs at all - immediate relief... and then my baby got into trouble so needed emergency c-section with full blown knockout ... But I was out of the hospital within 3 days... There's nothing to stop you leaving as long as there are no urgent medical complications - in which case you will surely wish to stay anyway :-)

Despite my preliminary doubts and having chosen a different hospital beforehand, when it came to the crunch, Altona was great! And they do have the child care unit and the best possible baby facilities right there, so if for any reason your baby should need special care you'll be right there. You should know that in an emergency your baby would be taken there but you would not be transfered... So I reckon go with Altona :-)

Good luck!

Posted

I can thoroughly recommend the preganancy Yoga at the Geburtshaus in Altona.

Yes I am planning to attend the pregnancy Yoga at the Geburtshaus in Altona, but the wimp that I am, I do not plan a 'all-natural' birth. I am just no good with pain. I am also planning to go to the information evening at UKE in the next couple of weeks and I hope to find out when Altona and the Elim hospital offer information evenings too.

Posted

Hi All,

I realise that i am posting this message a long time after the original conversation but i am trying to find the same in Hamburg at the moment - i am now 16 weeks pregnant and over the next few months will be looking for English speaking mid-wife, classes etc etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I hope all of you have had good pregnancy/birth experiences.

Best wishes to you and your new additions.

L.

Posted

hello and congrats on your pregnancy. I created the original posting and am waiting for my baby to enter the world. When it comes to English speaking practices, I can highly recommend the UKE hospital, as i have not come across anyone in the maternity unit who does not speak English, also they have a brand new building -opened at the end of January 2009. UKE website just click on the English button or ring them and ask for someone who speaks English.

In regards to midwifes i can recommend Uta Spehlmann, a highly experienced woman who has worked in England for many years and also holds pre-birth courses. Her details are below if you contact her please let her know that you got her details from Danielle Deeke:

Uta Spehlmann (Hebamme)

Tel: 040 890 37 53

Mobile: 0178 890 37 53

I can also recommend another midwife practice, although their website is in German, they also speak excellent English and offer many courses and services including pregnancy photography (which i will be using this Friday).

midwife practice

I can also offer you other links and contacts, just send me a PM and i will be very happy to help!

Good luck!

Danielle

Posted

Hi all,

I just found this website today but have been living in Hamburg on and off for a year and a half. My situation is a bit complicated and I just got back here/home after spending three months working abroad. But I'm back to stay for a while now : )

I'm pregnant with my first (22 weeks) and am starting to look into much of what you're discussing here. I already hava a gyn at the Alstentrasse practice mentioned above and really like her. My German is pretty good but my husband isn't quite there yet, so guess we'll look for an English-speaking midwife. I live in Altona, btw. What I'm wandering about are classes, midwifes and hospitals but mostly I guess I'm just looking to chat to some girls going through the same stuff I am : ) Back home (I'm from Iceland) I have oodles of cousins and friends who either have children or are pregnant. Here I don't know anyone whose expecting. Kind of miss the company...

This may be jumping the gun and contrary to good netiquette, but is anyone interested in meeting up and talking about morning sickness?

Cheers,

Agnes

Posted

This may be jumping the gun and contrary to good netiquette, but is anyone interested in meeting up and talking about morning sickness?

sure Agnes, just PM me when you would like to meet.

Danielle

Posted

I'm actually looking for a good homebirth midwife. I've seen some websites, but would like to hear some testimonials. Has anyone delivered with Ulrika Aulbach or Gabrielle Langer-Grandt? Or any recommendations?

Posted

Just to let all the ladies know that i gave birth to my son on the 17th March 2009 at the UKE and had the most wonderful supportive and positive birth! The UKE outshone all my expectations with its ultra-modern and holistic and natural approach to birth and breast feeding. I stayed at the hospital for the recommended 3 days and left with the biggest smile on my face. The staff at the hospital are a special group of people indeed.

Posted

Congratulations Danielle, I'm more of a lurker than a poster but since I've become pregnant I've been following this post and was wondering how you were getting on. Plus a St Patricks day baby, class!

Posted

i gave birth to my son on the 17th March 2009

Congratulations! :)

Posted

If anyone living in the Altona, Sternschanze or Eimsbüttel area is looking for a great Hebamme (Midwife) who speaks English (and German of course, I think she also speaks some French) I strongly recommend seeing if you can get Frau Steffen for impeccable pre-and post birth care of you and your baby. She helped us know what to expect, chose the right stuff for our baby and for me, gave us local tips, and just made the experience of starting a little family in Hamburg a wonderful experience. From medical matters, practical tips, fragrant balms that work, nursing bras and socks that don't fall off the little one's feet so easily, to accupuncture, pre-birth classes (I think the classes are only in German - I didn't go to her class or do the accupuncture so I don't know how these are). I would recommend some visits with her before the birth with her. Really saves in the end a lot of time rather than trying to figure out everything yourself by pouring over the Internet all your evenings and then making guesses on your own as to what to buy. After the birth she lets you know what to expect before it happens so you can prepare for changes in your little one. Her email is cathrin dot buhr at hamburg dot de.

As for hospital, depends on what your special needs are at the time of the birth, if, any. I gave birth at Elim in Eimsbüttel, great professional care wih a kind and patient attitude and lots of help with getting the hang of breastfeeding, but what sucked was that some foreign moms (half the moms there are foreign it seems) would not respect that their roomates needed to sleep or have privavcy from visiting male roommate guests to breastfeed. I had no problem with quiet German roomamtes who would have their husband or boyfriend at bedside quietly and who would step out to make cell phone calls, but the loud immigrants (the ones in Germany for 10 years who don't speak German that get forced to the VHS and make us flee the VHS) with 3 men sipping coffee in the room for a couple of hours when I had to be half naked to breast feed and getting loud music cell phone rings all the time was so bad my baby got sick and dehydrated form inability to take care of her with no sleep because of them. Even in the breastfeeding corner down the hall, male visitors can see in the corner that is to be reserved for women to be half nude to breastfeed or try out breast pumps when they come by to check out their baby or talk to their wives. A lot of the German moms fled the hospital as soon as they could because of this loud rude immigrant problem. Anyway, get a good hebamme and you can leave the hospital faster and get started at home quicker and avoid these trash, whether you had a regular birth or cesarean.

Posted

Hi there,

I am following up with your suggestion of hebamme. This is my 2nd pregnancy and although my 1st hebamme was nice (she was irish) I might change- obv English speaking .

I live in Lurup and 24 weeks pregnant

Posted

Hey if you are interested in joining up with some English speaking pregnant and new mums in Hamburg we are now on Facebook! We have a very active group who meet up every week and sometimes have days out or just go for a long walk. If you are interested mail me for an invite with your email address or search on FB under Hamburg Mothers Meeting.

Looking forward to knowing if you are interested!

Danielle

Posted

I am new to Hamburg and would like information regarding Csections. If you have a C section, how long do German hospitals keep you in intensive care? When do they make you walk? Can your husband spend the night at the hospital from the first day of your operation? Do nurses take care of the baby the first night of your operation so you can sleep and recover from the major abdominal operation? Experiences in detail please! thanks