Lovefilm.de - online movie rental service

85 posts in this topic

Posted

I found this site through Amazon.de and was wondering if anyone has a good/bad review of them.

LoveFilm seems to be a netflix style movie rental system. Order a movie, get it in the mail, send it back get another.

Comments?

Thanks!

KT

Posted

not as good as amazon was. It seems to take a lot longer for them to dispatch movies.

Posted

I saw them as well on Amazon and signed up for the free 2 week trial, primarily as I fancied watching Batman Begins on Blu-ray (only ever seen it on the plane) before I went to see The Dark Knight, but they don't have it on Blu-ray at my local video store. Signed up on Wednesday, you can assign priorities (high, med, low) to the films in you wish list, but it's no guarrantee they will come in that order. I had Batman Begins and Ratatouille as high, and There Will Be Blood and No Country for old Men as low, and Ratatouille was sent yesterday (don't know how long they take to arrive), and There Will Be Blood is being processed to be sent today, so I've now cancelled Batman Begins as it won't arrive before I go see the Dark Knight.

They do have a very big selection (certainly hundreds more blu-rays than my local video store), but I'm going to cancel at the end of the 2 week trial, as I don't watch enough to justify the cost when compared to the local video place, and importantly I prefer to be able to go and choose what I/we want to watch on a particular night, rather than the vagaries of what is sent from the wish list (they recommend you put min 8 films in your wish list), especially as what I or my wife would watch on our own is often completely different to what my wife and I would watch together (for some reason she isn't into films with lots of mindless violence, and I don't do romantic comedies).

If you're interested though, just sign up for the free trial and check it out.

Posted

... Except that Amazon has gotten out of the business in the last few months and transferred their existing accounts to LoveFilm.

Posted

There's a service called amango that works by mail and sounds pretty close to Netflix. Never used them though.

You can rent as many DVDs per month as you want with three price levels. 10 euro a month and you can get one movie delivered at a time, 15 gets you two, 20 euro a month and you can get three movies delivered at a time.

Posted

Cool, thanks for the replies. THe thread listed by planetmoni is a definite read. Iĺl have to sit down and compare the services and choose =)

Thanks!

KT

Posted

In addition to Amazon having transferred their business to Lovefilm, I have received an e-mail from Amango that as of Oct 31, they are going out of business. Their accounts will be transferred to videobuster.de.

Posted

have rented 2 DVDs so far and both scratched. Very annoying, hopefully just an unfortunate coincidence

Posted

Never had any problems with the discs we've had from Lovefilm, but a friend of ours has had some scratched DVDs which wouldn't play on his (really) old DVD player, although the player itself was really temperamental and has since been replaced. Did you try playing the discs in another DVD player or computer?

I presume you're in your free trial phase, so if it doesn't work out you've not lost anything. Either way, have have you complained to them - they'd maybe give you an extension of the free trial, or a reduction to you subscription if you're already paying.

Posted

We use Lovefilm and have found it really good. Never had a problem with a disc. We did have a problem where a DVD we sent back got lost in the post, but that was easy enough to sort out and we got sent the next DVD a day later.

Posted

Never had any problems with the discs we've had from Lovefilm, but a friend of ours has had some scratched DVDs which wouldn't play on his (really) old DVD player, although the player itself was really temperamental and has since been replaced. Did you try playing the discs in another DVD player or computer?

I had this happen once or twice and after a while I realised that the disks had some copy protection that did not work well with my older DVD player.

Posted

I've been using LoveFilm for a couple of months. Formerly have used amazon.de (which is now lovefilm) and Netflix in the US.

Overall satisfied with the service - it's easy and convenient and I always have a movie on hand to watch if I feel like it.

The 35000 or so titles compared to 100000 or so in Netflix does make it feel like the selection is smaller, compounded by the fact that I never know what any movies are called in German so it seems harder to find what I want sometimes.

Movies come very quickly and while I did have a lot of problems with amazon.de disc quality a couple of years ago, so far it seems to be a non-issue with Lovefilm.

The only thing that I really liked better with netflix was that it was much easier to control what you were getting as they had it set up as a ranking system and tried always to get you your first choice and then down the line. Normally I always got my 1 or 2. With Lovefilm there are just the three categories and you really have no idea what you will end up with each time.

All in all I like it.

Posted

I have to agree with Chili Rose... I have only had a positive experience with LoveFilm and am a long time customer. The only real downside being little control over what is sent. I just keep my queue full so I am bound to be happy with whatever is being sent.

Quite pleased with it.

Posted

the selection is smaller, compounded by the fact that I never know what any movies are called in German so it seems harder to find what I want sometimes.

Go to IMDB.com and do a search for the English movie title. Once on the page, click on 'Release date'. If you scroll down, at the bottom it lists the movie title in different foreign countries...

Posted

Has anyone tried Videobuster.de?

Posted

Does anyone know where to rent foreign language films (French, Spanish, Japanese etc) with English subtitles. I previously tried Lovefilm but they only seem to have German subs.

Posted

I have been using Lovefilm since Feb this year. Unlimited DVD for 11.99 EUR/month. No complaints about service or delivery. But the most I can make use of it is 6-8 DVDs per month. If you are smart and return the DVD same day you receive you can go as high as 12 DVDs per month. Very good colection of movies and the new ones are available immediately once the DVDs are released. No differential charge for a DVD or a Blue Ray.

Only one complaint though. They stack DVDs that are mostly without English subtiles. Thats a great pain if you are wishing to view the great German, French or Italian titles. Some of them (which won Oscars) have English subtitles, but mostly others do not. But the lovefilm UK site have all those movies with English subtitles.

I have complained to them and asked them to let us also rent from UK or they deliver us these movies with English sub.

Anybody have similar issue or a remedy to suggest - another rental maybe?

Posted

Has anyone used any (legal) download film/TV service in Germany. Something like an alternative to iTunes, but where films can also be rented in original language. I know I can create an iTunes account say from the UK, but without a UK credit card I need to keep getting the iTunes gift cards sent over and that's a bit of a hassle.

Posted

i was at lovefilm, it was a pain.

the second movie i sent back got lost in the mail and they refused to send out any new dvds "since you still havent sent back the old one",

in the end they deducted money from my account to cover "the dvd you have not sent back".

calling their support was very frustrating, the woman there found it highly amusing and literally just laughed when i got angrier and angrier.

i talked to Verbraucherschutz, and they said they had had complaints, but the only thing i could do would be to sue them and it would not be worth it considering that i could lose and would be sitting on all legal costs.

i cancelled my subscription immediately and now get spammed once per month that i should become a customer again.

thats how i learned the hard way not to use direct debit with german companies

Posted

I'm looking in to this right now as I'd like to be 'legal' but it's made nearly impossible due to the German TV and Movie industry being completely tied to dubbing (one of the worst crimes ever commited on film and TV in my view) and therefore only offering their dubbed versions to the public for rent or sale. Any new info. on good services either online (that will work with both Apple and Windows) and with films available in English or with English subtitles?

I downloaded a movie from iTunes last week which originally said that it was available with English language but when I downloaded it that didn't come to pass. It sucked in German as all the 'funny' was sucked from the film.

Here is a comparison of the various German services (http://www.vergleichsweise.info/onlinevideothek) that a friend gave me. I'm looking through them now.

Posted

i was at lovefilm, it was a pain.

the second movie i sent back got lost in the mail and they refused to send out any new dvds "since you still havent sent back the old one",

in the end they deducted money from my account to cover "the dvd you have not sent back".

calling their support was very frustrating, the woman there found it highly amusing and literally just laughed when i got angrier and angrier.

i talked to Verbraucherschutz, and they said they had had complaints, but the only thing i could do would be to sue them and it would not be worth it considering that i could lose and would be sitting on all legal costs.

i cancelled my subscription immediately and now get spammed once per month that i should become a customer again.

thats how i learned the hard way not to use direct debit with german companies

Strange, a DVD of ours was lost in the mail too and we simply informed them we had sent it back, they accepted that and sent out the next film in our list. No charge, no trouble.

Posted

Any new info. on good services either online (that will work with both Apple and Windows) and with films available in English or with English subtitles?

I downloaded a movie from iTunes last week which originally said that it was available with English language but when I downloaded it that didn't come to pass. It sucked in German as all the 'funny' was sucked from the film.

You can always set up an iTunes account on the US or UK store rather than the German one. Then your downloads will be in English by default.

Posted

yes, but I think the problem was then also needing a UK credit card

Posted

Just use PayPal. I use PayPal for my US account.