Good Chinese restaurants in Berlin

27 posts in this topic

Posted

I was in singapore for a short time and hated it, the whole place could sink in to the sea for all I care but the Food I miss the food does any one know a good Chinese restaurant. Where do you get fish ball soup and curry puff.

Posted

Aroma Restaurant on Kantstr. (near Savigny Platz S-Bhf) serves the best (i.e. authentic) Dim Sum, in my opinion. As for the other two dishes, I do not know where they're available, but I would think the best would be found in my kitchen ;)

Posted

I did a list with recommendations for more or less original and good chinese style restaurants from various magazines and guys (so I didn't visit them all yet):

* Tai-Tung China Restaurant Budapester Str. 50, 10787 Berlin

* Ming's Garden Tauentzienstraße 16, 10789 Berlin

* TAI JI Uhlandstraße 194, 10623 Berlin

* Toca Rouge Torstraße 195, 10115 Berlin (modern/fusion chinese cuisine, a bit hectic and fast food like, but experimental, cheap and something different)

* Aroma Kantstr. 35, 10625 Berlin

* Zing Grolmanstr. 21, 10623 Berlin

* Lin's Mandarin Spandauer Damm 181-183, Charlottenburg, 14050 Berlin

* Lon-Men China Restaurant Bamberger Strasse 30, 10779 Berlin

* le lamian Simon-Dach-Straße 2, 10245 Berlin (specialized in chinese noodle soups)

* Peking Ente Voßstraße 1, Mitte (Ecke Wilhelmstraße), 10117 Berlin

* Ostwind Husemannstr. 13, 10435 Berlin

* Ming Dynastie Brückenstraße 6a, 10179 Berlin

* Good Friends Kantstr. 30, 10623 Berlin (the most well known in Berlin. Many say that it got worse)

* Selig Kantstr. 51, 10625 Berlin

* shanghai Kantstraße 22, 10623 Berlin

* 5 Flavor Torstraße 125, 10119 Berlin (with chinese menu. german/european menu rather crappy/average)

Posted

Good Friends isn't as good as it was when I first came here last year, although the Dim Sum plate is still excellent. I didn't like Lin's Mandarin. The Mongolian barbecue had almost no sauce and pork was overcooked and dry. Aroma was OK, but the dim sum were a little greasy, although they tasted good. I haven't been to the other places on the list.

Posted

Hi and how are you all?

I am searching for a decent chinese in Berlin. Would be great to find one in Kreuzberg, Schöneberg or Neukölln but am happy to travel a bit further too. Can be one offering a decent buffet, or cantonese style.

Never really explored the chinese restaurants here but would love to find a decent one

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Topics merged by admin

Posted

Didn't you see TobyG's comprehensive list 2 posts up from yours?

I would also add the Lucky Star in Friedrichstr to it.

Posted

I've been to both Peking 'Ente and Shanghai within the last 2-3 months. Both are excellent.

The Peking Ente has dishes on the menu I haven't seen in any other Chinese restaurant, particularly here. Their specialty is, of course, Peking Duck, which must be ordered in advance and is for 2 persons. They also have Rotbarsch in light-hot oil with chiles and Dim Sum. The first time I was there I had a pork dish which was thin strips of pork in a sauce served with Peking Doilies, and it was excellent. I'm planning to have lunch there tomorrow.

The Shanghai has an extensive list of Dim Sum and also has some dishes on the menu I haven't seen anywhere else. An Asian couple was eating there when I was there. I found their food to be excellent, although, typical of Germany, hot and spicy was only German-Scharf not Asien Scharf. German Scharf is not Scharf!

Recemtly a friend and I went to Himmels Tor. It's outside of Berlin (north) towards Oranienburg amd is designed just like Heaven's Gate in Beijing. It's absolutely gorgeous, the most gorgeous Chinese restaurant I have ever seen anywhere. They also own Kaiser Palast. We were there on a Saturday and it was very crowded. Unfortunately, the food was not so impressive. I had a beef dish which was OK, but nothing special. My friend had fried noodles with duck. Her dish was much better than mine. However, it's worth going to just to see the place.

Posted

You're right, TobyG. I stand corrected.

I was again at the Peking Ente Friday and it was excellent.

Today I had lunch at the Shanghai on Kantstrasse just off Savignyplatz and it was exquisite. I had a very light tofu batter wrapped around very soft pork in a brown sauce for a dim sum and Sichuan-style fried fish for an entre. The batter around the fish was extremely light and delicate and was seasoned with ground pepper, presumably Sichuan and had some vegetables in a light sauce and was served with rice. It was one of the best Chinese meals I have ever had anywhere. I highy recommend this restaurant. The menu indicated 3 chiles and the young waiter said it was very spicy and told him I love spicy so that was fine, but then it wasn't at all spicy for me. It was so delicately seasoned that any hotter would have rined it. This chef clearly knows what he is doing.

Posted

I think Berlin really lacks some good Chinese restaurants. One of my favourite Chinese restaurant though in Berlin is the Kang Feng. It's located near the former Airport Tempelhof and not too far away from where I live. It's very easy to access via the U6 line. The food there is really delicious and aside from some to Germans catered dishes is quite authentic. I really love their duck dishes. One more thing I like about Kang Feng is that the interior is very well done, nice and cozy yet modern and stylish. Parking is plenty.

Posted

The one next to the Chinese embassy at Jannowitzbruecke is ok, cant remember its name but it might be the Ming Dynastie on Toby's list.

The best that I've been to in all of Germany is OrangeGreen on Tauentzienstrasse 9-12. Its actually in the Europa Centre. Their dim sum is fresh and delish and we went there with a fellow TTer who had lived in Hong Kong and said that the quality of OrangeGreen's stuff was very good.

Posted

Recemtly a friend and I went to Himmels Tor. It's outside of Berlin (north) towards Oranienburg amd is designed just like Heaven's Gate in Beijing. It's absolutely gorgeous, the most gorgeous Chinese restaurant I have ever seen anywhere. They also own Kaiser Palast. We were there on a Saturday and it was very crowded. Unfortunately, the food was not so impressive. I had a beef dish which was OK, but nothing special. My friend had fried noodles with duck. Her dish was much better than mine. However, it's worth going to just to see the place.

I was hesitating going to that place the first time because all my German friends said the food was nothing special, but after being there I think it is really good. My conclusion is you have to be adventurous and order something different. Germans normally just order the fried noodles with duck (just like your friend) and there is no much difference with the stuff you can get at any Imbiss for 6 EUR.

The best thing you can do when you visit Asian restaurants is sharing the food, then you have chance to try different dishes. But it is very difficult to get Germans (and maybe Europeans in general) to share.

Posted

haha, yeah I agree with Krieg. I normally go to Chinese restaurants with my non-German friends, we order a load of food and eat and drink for hours. I once went with my work collegues for Chinese and they each ordered a dish for themselves. Needless to say, we were out of there in half an hour - how boring.

@lolo,

I've always been curious about Singapore, may I ask why you didn't like it? I only seem to hear negative things about the place.

Posted

I can highly recommend Good Friends on Kantstr. (I've been there once every couple of months since 1997 and I don't believe the quality has gone down; the place is still packed with oodles of immigrant Chinese) and Lon Men on Bamberger Str. (which is one of the few places I've found with genuine, tasty Mu Shu pork).

As to the sharing thing, I find the easiest thing to do is get one of the big round tables with a lazy Susan on it and just tell everyone that it's tradition to order a bunch of stuff and share. Just ask everyone to choose one dish each - perhaps with a bit of mediating if everyone chooses chicken - and you're off. Or go whole hog and order two dishes each - Chinese restaurants have no problem with packing up the leftovers for you and everyone can take home what they like best.

Posted

Is that bit about " packing up the leftovers for you" still done?

I have been refused this service in any number of places in the past as it breaches some Food Safety regulations or other and the resturant can get into real trouble if you come down with some horrible squirty stomach food poisioning type thing.

I know there are different rules for take-away food and served on a plate stuff but not sure about the details.

Posted

I can't vouch for Düsseldorf, but no Chinese place in Berlin has ever refused my request of den Rest einpacken, bitte.

Posted

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/375919-Lucky-Star-Restaurant-Berlin

Lucky Star in Mitte is great. Being part Asian I am extra particular when it comes to Chinese food, I avoid places that use the same brown sauce in every dish. Lucky Star has a special Chinese Hot Pot meal where you get to cook all the food yourself in different broths, its all freshly laid out for you at your table. Best to enjoy with more than one person, plan on spending at least two hours eating.

Posted

I agree about the Lucky Star on Freidirchstrasse, across from the Freidrichstadtpalast, and Oscar Wildes.

The hot pot is good and plentiful. But also the a la carte is also good. Authentic chinese, good service and tasty to boot!

Whenever I have been there it is always well visited by local Chinese folk.

Posted

* Lon-Men China Restaurant Bamberger Strasse 30, 10779 Berlin

+1

Been there many times myself since it's pretty close from us, and yeah, it's good...

Posted

been to Lon Men once...and i will never come again...