Interesting things Google Web Search can do

49 posts in this topic

Posted

I just want to check if my fellaz on TT, do Google and find some interesting/mind-boggling/weird responses directly on its first page or leading to some links.

Here's mine:

What Time Is It In Vanuatu?

Google is versatile and does pretty good math too. You can check by typing some math expression.

Also, some guys use 'Google' just for the sole purpose of hackin' into some other systems. For Example, check the following query to Google (which retrieves all the Ms Excel files):

filetype:xls inurl:passwd

This way, you can probably find some confidential documents too (if they aint secure).

If you happened to come across this kind of stuff, list out and let the world know. :D

Posted

Two random words: Munich Hooligans

I love this quote

German gangs are well organised... In fact some groups are so well organised that a video I recently watched of German hooligans in action saw one group handing out armbands to gang members so they new who was who during any fighting with the rival gang!!!

Posted

also works for currency conversions:

e.g.

100 pounds in euros

Posted

A couple more:

- You can input a flight number, and it tracks the plane

- Most cameras use the file name DSCN0001.jpg for their first photo, do a google image search for that, and see what weird things people snap with their newly opened camera. (yes, there are naked people)

- You can quite easily, do a search for credit card numbers

Posted

Use the following search terms and a lot of secret/confidential docs are exposed (specially, the docs from US sites): :P

filetype:pdf inurl:secret

filetype:pdf inurl:confidential

Posted

It can tell you also how many leagues are in a furlong.

Posted

If the search results you want to read are blocked by your annoying employers insisting on some silly internet usage policy, google often has the option to look at it's cached version of a page. Very helpful at times.

Posted

Apparently this new deep-search engine (powered by google) works really well when looking for people, just try typing in your own name: http://pipl.com/

Posted

Here's an e-mail that I got from one of my friends:

Google is the second Brain to many of us.We use it frequently.It uses white screen which consumes higher power.Read the following..If Google had a black screen,Taking in account the huge number of pages viewed, according to calculations,750 mega watts/hour of power per year would be saved"

In response, Google created a black version of its search engine, called Blackle, with the exact same functions as the white version, but obviously with lower energy consumption:

And here's the link : Blackie (Not sure if thats genuine info. Maybe someone built it on top of Google search - I mean using Google API).

Posted

It's called Blackle rather than Blackie and it's not owned by Google; it's an independent website with a Google search function installed in it.

Wikipedia: Blackle.com

The principle behind Blackle is based on the fact that the display of different colors consumes different amounts of energy on computer monitors. The creators of Blackle cite a 2002 study from Roberson, who tested a variety of CRT and LCD monitors and found that an all black screen consumed less energy than an all white screen on all of them ...

Because it is not owned by Google Inc., the Blackle site lacks many of the features of conventional Google, including the 'Cached' and 'Similar Pages' options, and it does not have as many of the corresponding links that can be found on the Google homepage ...

Relative to other energy saving initiatives, it has been suggested that the energy savings of Blackle is small.

Posted

Apparently this new deep-search engine (powered by google) works really well when looking for people, just try typing in your own name: http://pipl.com/

Happily not one result for me. :)

Posted

If you want a quick update of how your country's medal count is in the Olympics, you can also type in "Your country Beijing Olympics" and get a tally.

Posted

Top search tip - use quotation marks (inverted comma's) around your search terms

1. If you carry out a search for the words fish and chips your search returns results from the web for every time the word fish appears plus every time the word chips appears google gives you 3.9 Million results

2. However if you place quotation marks around your search words you are now searching for a phrase "fish and Chips" google now only gives you = 2.9 million results

3. Lets take this a bit further and narrow the search just to PDF documents about "Fish and Chips" your search would be - "fish and chips" filetype:pdf = 29,700 results

4. Now search for "fish and chips and vinegar" filetype:pdf and you only get 10 results

sorry if I got anyone excited but a search for "fish and chips served in paper with vinegar in Germany" = Zero results

Places like this do exist but they don't seem to advertise it over the web - most British Army camps in northern Germany tend to have them

Lots of search info on the Google "Cheat Sheet"

http://websearch.about.com/library/cheatsh...echeatsheet.htm

JT

Posted

Here's a new Search Engine (which is built on top of other search engines). On this site, you can retrieve and check the results from 10 different search engines (some are just for jobs, et al). Here's the link:

Zuula

Posted

A while ago one could do a search for "2257 proof" or "2257 ID" on google images and actually get some real names and addresses of adult models.

Posted

To get Deutsche Bahn train times, just enter two towns into the search bar.

post-977-1226934298.jpg

Posted

Thanks for that... found out that someone had opened an account (Bebo) using my name!