Underage alcohol buying and consumption

47 posts in this topic

Posted

My daughter turned 16 yesterday, what are the rules in Germany regarding the buying and consumming of alcohol?

Posted

She can legally buy and be served beer and wine w/16, spirits not until 18 years of age.

Posted

The only ID she has is the one issued by school, I would not like her take her passport out. Is that sufficient ID? This whole alcohol thing is a bit scary.

Posted

Here's the relevant law (in German) from the Bavarian Landesjugendamt.

From 16 she can legally be in a bar or a disco without a parent or other "erziehungsbeauftragte Person" (e.g. teacher, foster parent, guardian etc.) but only until midnight. She is not allowed to be there between midnight and 5am.

Beer and wine are allowed from 16, spirits (including alcopops) only from 18 unless you (parent/guardian) purchase them.

That's the rough guide at least.

Katrina

Posted

Gosh, that was a long and very thorough document. Sadly, my German is v. poor

Posted

I've done you a quick summary of the bits about booze in an edit. Cigarettes are also allowed from 16 (who controls this one? No-one I've seen, the Automaten are everywhere).

Katrina

Posted

Thanks Katrina. That clears it up for me. I can't make up my mind whether starting so young is a good thing or not. Perhaps she will do all the wild things I did before she sits behind the wheel of a car?

Posted

i sort of wished i got violently ill from alcohol earlier. might have reduced my consumption throughout college. admittedly, after that i became consciencious of my alcohol consumption and stayed with dope smoking. ^_^

sadly, seems the boys get drunk and drunker at 15 and continue this trend til their 30! if they only knew the beer gut they would get!

Posted

Therein lie the problem of extremes that you see in the US, UK and Ireland where the minimum age of consumption is higher than elsewhere. Start at 16, learn how it works and have less binge drinking later on. Or some such bollocks anyway.

Posted

What is the legal drinking age in the UK?

Posted

Therein lie the problem of extremes that you see in the US, UK and Ireland where the minimum age of consumption is higher than elsewhere. Start at 16, learn how it works and have less binge drinking later on. Or some such bollocks anyway.

legal age limit has nothing to do with binge drinking. teenagers are on the lash well before hitting 18 or even 16.

According to the Economist, 48% of 15-year-old british girls have a drink every week - more than any other nationality. At 55%, British boys are the third heaviest drinkers worldwide.

binge drinking's definately a cultural thing.

Posted

@SillyOldSlapper

I wouldn't worry to much about it all. Your daughter will start going out more and more and get to know the Munich nightlife.

Of course she will most likely start to drink beer etc. and perhaps even smoke, but that does not mean that she will become addicted to it or anything like that.

Having lived in Munich from when I was 14 years old, I would say that it is probably one of the best cities to grow up in, as it is so safe, there are loads of places to go and it's really intresting exploring all the different pubs and clubs when one is at that age.

Maybe there are different and stricter drinking laws in the UK than in Germany, but I believe that the chances of your daughter starting to binge drink as an example, are much lower in Munich than anywhere in the UK.

Dan

Posted

binge drinking's definately a cultural thing

I agree, but one that is to some extent brought on by the higher age limits (and also partially the archane licensing laws which should have been changed in 1945). You are not allowed drink until your are 18 (or 21). When you are 15 or 16 or whatever you want want to try it but it's allegedly forbidden but that's not gonna stop you because you know better than the dumb older people. Getting pissed as a teenager is often seen as the 'cool' thing to do. I believe that's a big part of where the problem starts. On the other side you take kids who share a glass of wine or a beer at dinner with the family at the same age and any such taboos are removed.

Posted

I also think that binge drinking is influenced in England by the licensing laws. Most people go to the pub at eight and then when the bell goes for last orders it's a case of getting in three beers and drinking them within the 20 minute timespan that remains. When you know you don't have to go home at 11pm you tend to slow your drinking down considerably.

I had all sorts of problems when I first came to Munich as I was still drinking at the 'English' pace and was always hammered by midnight. Now I have problems when I go to England as I drink too slowly. :P

Posted

She is not allowed to be there between midnight and 5am.

So that's why the pubs always get empty at around 12!! :ph34r:

Heheh - only jokin'.

@SillyOldSlapper

The only ID she has is one issued by school?

See the topic on Carrying ID:

ID Carrying Topic

Surely there's something else? Unless you're only here for a short period?

I wouldn't worry too much about the drinking thing here... I don't think they

treat it the same way ... i.e. going out getting hammered is not really "cool"

or proof that one is now a "mature" person.

I'd actually be more concerned about cigarettes... nearly every kid here smokes.

Posted

The only ID she has been given is a school one. We paid 80cents for it. We are here indefinately for the time being so where does she apply for something more permanent?

Actually, we feel this is a relatively safe place to do your growing up. I did wonder if I felt that way because we live in an expat bubble!

Posted

If she has a German passport, she can get a German ID card...

If she is not a German citizen, then the PP is the only "VALID" form

of ID for foreigners. There have been atleast 2 threads about the

whole ID thing in the past week or so.

Posted

Thanks Darkknight. I have read the other posts but thought from the previous post, I must of missed something - obviously not.